Author Topic: FISHERS of Stoke Dry  (Read 5510 times)

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
FISHERS of Stoke Dry
« on: Friday 30 July 04 11:18 BST (UK) »
Just discovered that 3rd great Grandfather John Fisher was born at Stoke Dry, Rutland. This is a completley new area for me.

Anyone out there researching Fishers in this area? - I can always hope...... ;D

Cheers
Aaron
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Re: Fishers of Stoke Dry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 October 04 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Aaron

How exciting !! Have you managed to find his Birth/baptism records yet ??

RootsChat  ;)
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 October 04 22:17 BST (UK) »
 Hi there RootsChat ;D

not yet - I have so many irons in the fire with Tameside and Gloucestershire Records Office I will have to wait a while!

I believed John Fisher to be from Northamptonshire until I received the 1851 census. His birth place is given as Uppingham, and what looks like Dry Stork for the County. The enumerator has struck Dry Stork out and written Rut. in the margin.

I have checked and found that Uppingham is very close to Stoke Dry.

On the IGI there is a suitable John Fisher born in Dry Stoke and I am fairly sure that's it's my man!

Great to be researching in a new area.

Cheers
Aaron
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline diden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 18:30 BST (UK) »
I was born in Stoke Dry. It is a beautiful tiny village with an amazing historic church. I couldn't find any Fishers in the 1851 census but many of the entries were too difficult to read.In 1851 there were about 64 people living inthe census area which included the v small village of Stockerston and the settlements at HolyOakes and Beaumont Chase. 11 households in Stoke Dry. Some of the families in 1851 were those I knew in the 1950's such as the Hinches. My mother talked about Conyers Peach of Holy Oakes so that name must have been passed down through the generations. The rector appeared to be running a boarding school with 5 pupils!

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 04:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Diden, ;D

how lovely to hear from you and to know that you were born in Stoke Dry.  ;D
I was really surprised to see this post appear after a couple of years.

Since posting I have read as much as I could about the village and all about the beautiful church and it's amazing history.

I had the Fishers in the "too hard" basket for a long time. Just recently I had another try and found out why there are no Fishers in Stoke Dry in 1841.

I discovered that John Fisher died before the 1841 census - but I don't know where, or when, yet. His wife Mary Fisher and daughter, Mary Moisey, are in Kings Cliffe Northants in 1841 and his daughter Catherine Flinders is in Lincolnshire. By 1851 Catherine has returned to Rutland and is living at Bisbrooke.  Mary Fisher and her daughter Mary remained in Kings Cliffe for the rest of their lives.

At last I have some information on the family and it's just great. Thanks ever so much for replying to my post. It's just lovely to speak with someone who was born in Stoke Dry. I couldn't believe how tiny the village was - and still is. Thanks so much for the information and for your help.

Kind Regards
Darcy
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland