Author Topic: Newbie Request :) Tipton Canal Boatman 1800's-1900's GOODE  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Lisa Kaniyur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Newbie Request :) Tipton Canal Boatman 1800's-1900's GOODE
« on: Friday 19 January 18 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am trying to trace my roots and have found that my Grandfathers side GOODE's were from a long line of Boat Man in the Tipton Area. The census mentions Watery Lane and Boat Row as their addresses. Does anyone know of any GOODE's in the area at this time? Many Thanks :)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Request :) Tipton Canal Boatman 1800's-1900's GOODE
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 January 18 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Can you give us a time period please  :)
ADDED
Although living in Watery Lane Thomas Goode / Eliza Goode and son Thomas Isaac Goode in earlier census returns ...Thomas is dead and Eliza / Thomas Isaac / Ruth his wife and son Thomas are living in Queens Road ,Tipton by 1901 .
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 January 18 07:23 GMT (UK) »
There's a tree on FamilySearch for Thomas Goode b 10 DEC 1823.   KH5H-YRF

ADDED.  I would'nt rely on this tree to much I think there are mistakes in it  ie

Jane Goode 1757.
FreeReg has her as Jane Goode. Birth date 25 Apr 1850, Baptism date 09 Feb 1854. Park Lane Wesleyan Chapel, Tipton Green.  father Thomas,  mother Eliza.
Also
Ann Goode. Birth date 17 Sep 1852, Baptism date 09 Feb 1854. Park Lane Wesleyan Chapel. Tipton Green. father Thomas,  mother Eliza.

Offline Lisa Kaniyur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 January 18 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thanks for the info.

I have found Thomas & Eliza Goode 1861 Census occupation Boatman; in 1871/1881 again Boatman now Living at 6 Boat Row and then 1891 moved to Watery Lane Boatman / Barge. They had a child named Thomas Issac Goode he had 2 children Thomas Henry and Ruth Goode but no mother to be found anywhere in the census or records? Thomas Henry seems to move around a bit. In 1901 Eliza has the grandchildren with her in Tipton but is then back on canal at Dudley Port on 1911 census working in Navigations? Thomas Henry my 2nd great grandfather married Harriet E Perrot and apparently they lived in Canal Cottage Thomas Henry died young; they had 1 son William Thomas Goode. Harriet remarried Jacob Whitehouse and lived in Canal Cottage William Thomas went to live with his maternal grandmother Perrot when 7yrs. My Nanny Whitehouse continued to live in Canal Cottage for many years and they worked the locks. My mum was born in 1950s and she was still there then.

This is all I know and ive come to a standstill at Thomas Goode (Boatman) born in 1823 says from Stone, Staffs his parents ? John and Jane Goode but no records?
 Many Thanks :)

Offline Lisa Kaniyur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 January 18 08:37 GMT (UK) »
I found this pic of my aunt Ruth Goode....

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 January 18 08:53 GMT (UK) »
www.geneanet.org   register for free - then

John Goode
Staffordshire
1770 1822
John Goode birth - baptism at St Michael ,Stone and also shows a birth for daughter Jane Goode at St Michael
a lot of records are free to view - but these particular records are Pay per View - but they are not expensive...
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 January 18 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thanks for the info.

I have found Thomas & Eliza Goode 1861 Census occupation Boatman; in 1871/1881 again Boatman now Living at 6 Boat Row and then 1891 moved to Watery Lane Boatman / Barge. They had a child named Thomas Issac Goode he had 2 children Thomas Henry and Ruth Goode but no mother to be found anywhere in the census or records? Thomas Henry seems to move around a bit. In 1901 Eliza has the grandchildren with her in Tipton but is then back on canal at Dudley Port on 1911 census working in Navigations? Thomas Henry my 2nd great grandfather married Harriet E Perrot and apparently they lived in Canal Cottage Thomas Henry died young.
 Many Thanks :)

Hello Lisa,
Welcome to Rootschat  :)
How sure are you that Thomas Isaac was the children’s father?
There is a Thomas H with parents John and Mary Ann. She would seem to be Woodward and John and M A are with Thomas and Eliza in 1881.
There is a birth for a Ruth Good with mmn Woodward.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisa Kaniyur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 January 18 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

Many Thanks for the response.
I'm not certain that Thomas Issac was the father, only that he is down as on the census and the children are garandchildren of his parents. However I suppose they could have been a his siblings child maybe as he had a brother John? I will look into this.

Thanks again.

Lisa :)

Hello Lisa,
Welcome to Rootschat  :)
How sure are you that Thomas Isaac was the children’s father?
There is a Thomas H with parents John and Mary Ann. She would seem to be Woodward and John and M A are with Thomas and Eliza in 1881.
There is a birth for a Ruth Good with mmn Woodward.

Heywood
[/quote]

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 January 18 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Thomas isn’t down on the census as father of the children - at least not in 1901

2734/120/1
2, Queens road

Eliza E Goode widow    71 yrs
Thomas I Goode son single 34 yrs
Thomas Goode grandson 16 yrs
Ruth Goode 8 yrs

Who does Thomas Henry name as his father on the marriage Certificate?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk