Author Topic: Newbie Request :) Tipton Canal Boatman 1800's-1900's GOODE  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Request :) Tipton Canal Boatman 1800's-1900's GOODE
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 January 18 02:09 GMT (UK) »
I agree that Thomas Henry Goode (and Ruth) is the son of John Goode and Mary Ann Woodward who married 1880 - Thomas Henry Goode was born in Hednesford, Staffs. as was his brother John William (rest of their siblings born in Tipton).  The births of these 2 were registered at Cannock:

John William Good - June quarter 1883 Cannock (mmn Woodward)
Thomas Henry Good - June quarter 1885 Cannock (mmn Woodward)

The surname continually changing between Good/Goode in census and BMD records.

Thomas Goode b.10/12/1823, bp.21/12/1823 St. Michaels, Stone, Staffordshire son of John and Jane.

John Goode married Jane Oldfield 26/10/1820 Stone, Staffordshire.

Annette 

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Request :) Tipton Canal Boatman 1800's-1900's GOODE
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 January 18 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Have just been viewing your tree on Ancestry and believe you have the wrong marriage for Thomas Goode born 1823 Stone - you have his wife as Eliza Thompson, married 29/12/1850 Harborne.   However, this Thomas was the son of a Thomas (not John) and Eliza dau. of a Thomas Thompson.  There is no Eliza Thompson born Oldbury at the relevant time.

All the children of Thomas and Eliza in the GRO births index shown their mothers maiden name as Bridges!   Their eldest child was a daughter Jane, registered as Jane Good June quarter 1850 Dudley, mmn Bridges.

I believe the marriage of Thomas and Eliza is this one:

Thomas Good  Mar.qtr. 1847 Dudley - he married Elizabeth Bridgens 14/2/1847 Dudley.   Unfortunately, the transcripts available online do not show their respective parents.

Baptisms for Oldbury (where wife Eliza born) show various children born to a William and Ann whose surname switches between Bridges and Bridgens (mostly Bridges).   A dau. Eliza Bridges bp.29/6/1828 Oldbury.   I feel certain this is the correct marriage but why she married as Elizabeth rather than Eliza I don't know.   In 1861 Thomas and Eliza have a lodger named William Bridges so probably a relative of Eliza herself. 

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk