Author Topic: Extracts from the 1653 Will of Robert Turner  (Read 325 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Extracts from the 1653 Will of Robert Turner
« on: Monday 22 January 18 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am hoping someone can help me figure out some names and other words in the following attachments taken from the 1653 Will of Robert Turner.

In the first extract Robert leaves to his wife Mary a dwelling house in Hartfield. Can anyone work out what he says it is called? I thought it was Cullinghurst but I'm not sure.

In the second extract Robert refers to a son in law called Richard. Can anyone confirm the surname? Hoad?

Also in this extract he refers to another son in law, "John Turner of.......". The first letter of the place name looks to be a B but I'm not sure of the rest, it looks like Beattel or Beattes. Can anyone help identify that place name? Could it be Battle at all?

Near the end of this piece [second line from the bottom] he mentions is daughter Bridgett but I'm unsure of the surname. I think it might be Constable.

Lastly can someone let me know the names of the two witnesses at the end of the final extract?

Many thanks

Matt

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Extracts from the 1653 Will of Robert Turner
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 January 18 14:23 GMT (UK) »
You have the two C names correct.

I read the place as Beatties.  I suggest having a long, long, hard look at the area before concluding it is Battle.

The son-in-law is Richard Head.

I'm not sure how far the humour in that name travels, but here in Australia it would have every school classroom in uproar.

ADDED:

John Medhurst & Mich: Wicking - that is, Michael.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Extracts from the 1653 Will of Robert Turner
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 January 18 21:45 GMT (UK) »
You have the two C names correct.

I read the place as Beatties.  I suggest having a long, long, hard look at the area before concluding it is Battle.

The son-in-law is Richard Head.

I'm not sure how far the humour in that name travels, but here in Australia it would have every school classroom in uproar.

ADDED:

John Medhurst & Mich: Wicking - that is, Michael.

Hi

Thanks for those.

Initially I did read the place name as Beatties or Beetties but thought I had misread it. Guess I was right in the first place.

I'm glad I got the C names right, the first one was a complete guess.

Thanks again
Matt