Author Topic: Burial in Nunhead Cemetery  (Read 790 times)

Offline KD146

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial in Nunhead Cemetery
« on: Wednesday 24 January 18 19:38 GMT (UK) »
I have a 1904 burial in Nunhead Cemetery, my 2nd great grandfather William Hayter, in grave 89/27104.

My question is, if I visit the cemetery, how easy would it be to find the grave?  There is unlikely to be a headstone, so I am relying on the grid reference, and I believe some parts of the cemetery to be very overgrown.

Is anyone familiar with this cemetery, and what my chances are of locating the grave, if I visit on a Saturday some time?
Co.Dublin - Connor, Martin, Reilly, Roche

Co.Laois - Brennan, Cobbe, Curran, Quearney

Co.Wexford - Kavanagh, Louth, Toole

Co.Wicklow - Booth, Byrne, Franklin, Kearney, Keddy, Murphy, Turner, Waldron, Woods

Hampshire, UK - Hayter, Heady, Nutley, Pullen

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Burial in Nunhead Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 19:44 GMT (UK) »
I think this will answer all your questions

Once you have a grave and square number please contact the staff at the Cemeteries Office, Camberwell New Cemetery, Brenchley Gardens, London SE23 3RD, Tel: 020 7525 5600. Staff will assess whether or not access to the grave is safe.

Safe access to all parts of the cemetery is no longer possible.

Staff will let you know whether or not the grave can be found and if the memorial is present. Staff can arrange to meet the enquirer on site and show them to the grave.

Please do not attempt to enter woodland areas yourself as there are unstable monuments and unsafe trees present.

https://www.fonc.org.uk/gravesite-search.html
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KD146

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Phone number very helpful, thank you.

Co.Wicklow - Booth, Byrne, Franklin, Kearney, Keddy, Murphy, Turner, Waldron, Woods

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 January 18 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Just about everywhere at Nunhead off the paths is heavily wooded, and this includes Square 89. The exceptions are the war graves areas and mainly squares 16-19, 27-31 and I think 40-41 near the Limesford Road entrance which, however, have been cleared for reuse with recent burials and so don't give much chance for early burials.

I have checked my photographs at Nunhead where I beleive I have found a fair proportion of the accessible graves, and the only Hayter I have is on a war memorial.

The big number 27104.won't help you find the grave as (except for the aforesaid  recent burials) graves aren't laid out consecutively and it needs a map held by the office.

Worse, he is in a grave shared with 18 others, so almost certainly a common grave. These are usually off the paths and if marked at all have less-than-knee-height headstones that vanish in the thick undergrowth.

Having said all that, there are occasional inroads into the undergrowth which have been cut officially or unofficially for people wanting to find relatives' graves and you might just be lucky.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline KD146

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 January 18 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, was really wondering if it was worth going all the way there at all, though I'd like to make the effort to visit at least once, just to say I have been there.