Author Topic: Leven - John Scott 1803  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Leven - John Scott 1803
« on: Thursday 25 January 18 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My g-g-g-grandfather was John Scott, a mariner. His Master's Certificate says he was born in Leven, on the 14th August, 1803, but I can find no record of his birth/baptism in the Scoonie Parish Registers on Scotlandspeople. I'm fairly certain that he later married Mary Ritchie, and had children William (1826), Euphemia (1836), John (1837) and Robert (1839), but I can find no record of the marriage of baptisms, apart from William in 1826. On the 1841 the family is in South Street, Leven, apart from John Snr. who would have been at sea.

I'm led to the conclusion that the Scoonie Parish records are incomplete. I would appreciate other views on this ?

Thanks, Gordon

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Leven - John Scott 1803
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 18 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Did he die before or after 1855?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 January 18 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Still in South St in 1851

Mary Scott 45 sailors wife
Isabella 16 (could this be "Euphemia" mistranscribed in 1841?)
John 14
Sophia 8 
Andrew 3
Scoonie ED1 Page 21 Line 19

Scotlands People shows parents as Andrew Scott and Mary Brown for Isabella (1834) John (1837), Sophia and Andrew

SP has a Robert Scott birth but in 1829 - not 1839 - Parents John Scott & Mary Ritchie

Do you have the marriage or death cert for your direct ancestor as it should confirm if mother was Mary Ritchie
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 January 18 07:48 GMT (UK) »
That is a complete different family. By that time John Scott's family had moved to Liverpool. You can see them there in 1851 (again, without John Snr. who would have been at sea). The reason that I believe he married Mary Ritchie is because of naming conventions. Mary's parents were Robert Ritchie and Euphemia Diston.

John's daughter Euphemia married Charles Shaw and then Alexander Gray. Euphemia and Alexander are witnesses to John Scott (b1837) marriage to Ruth Hudson. Robert Scott's marriage too Catherine Bibby names him as Robert 'Ritchie' Scott.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 January 18 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Your post makes no mention of Liverpool which would have been helpful and saved time trying to find them in Scotland in 1851.  You say the 1841 has Mary and children in South St Leven.  Strange that a Mary Scott of the right age plus children is also living in South St in 1851

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 January 18 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for any confusion caused. My focus was primarily on John Scott, his baptism and therefore the identify of his parents, which is why I didn't mention the Liverpool connection.

My main question remains: I'm led to the conclusion that the Scoonie Parish records are incomplete. I would appreciate other views on this ?

Gordon.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 January 18 18:05 GMT (UK) »
All of Scotland's OPR's are incomplete whether events were recorded in the Parish books or even if those books have survived I wouldn't say that Scoonie's records are any better or worse than the rest of Scotland

Offline Johnson CA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 March 19 04:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My g-g-g-grandfather was John Scott, a mariner. His Master's Certificate says he was born in Leven, on the 14th August, 1803, but I can find no record of his birth/baptism in the Scoonie Parish Registers on Scotlandspeople. I'm fairly certain that he later married Mary Ritchie, and had children William (1826), Euphemia (1836), John (1837) and Robert (1839), but I can find no record of the marriage of baptisms, apart from William in 1826. On the 1841 the family is in South Street, Leven, apart from John Snr. who would have been at sea.

I'm led to the conclusion that the Scoonie Parish records are incomplete. I would appreciate other views on this ?

Thanks, Gordon

Hi Gordon, I have just joined and this may be a total long shot but I am researching Leven and Scott names as yourself. And having a struggle too, especially from New Zealand.

My gr.gr. grandparents were John Scott (b.1818 Perth) and Marjory Scott (b.1830 Perth) according to the 1861 census.

They named their first child Majory Leven Scott b.1853. She is my gr.grandmother.

I am working on the premise that Leven is a significant name in the family as other children also had this middle name. From traditional naming patterns  possibly her mother or grandmother's maiden name, however I have found no record of the first Marjory's birth as yet, nor her marriage to John Scott.

So from this do you see any connection to your John Scott 1803 'downline'?  As I said a long shot!

Cheers! Carol in NZ.
Brown, Scott, Leven, Miller

Offline gizmo303

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 March 19 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks, Gordon

Hi Gordon, I have just joined and this may be a total long shot but I am researching Leven and Scott names as yourself. And having a struggle too, especially from New Zealand.

My gr.gr. grandparents were John Scott (b.1818 Perth) and Marjory Scott (b.1830 Perth) according to the 1861 census.

They named their first child Majory Leven Scott b.1853. She is my gr.grandmother.

I am working on the premise that Leven is a significant name in the family as other children also had this middle name. From traditional naming patterns  possibly her mother or grandmother's maiden name, however I have found no record of the first Marjory's birth as yet, nor her marriage to John Scott.

So from this do you see any connection to your John Scott 1803 'downline'?  As I said a long shot!

Cheers! Carol in NZ.
Hi, the user is on about the place Leven in Fife, and not the surname.

Without pulling this off-topic I do have Leven surname in my tree from 1790s in Dron, Perthshire, which is just outside Fife. 

Your Majory Leven Scott was born Perth, 1853 (the mother seems to have been Marjory Leven).

Leven is also not a very common name. These Leven records seem quite patchy. I can only suggest doing a Ancestry DNA test and also adding your tree there. This may help filling in some holes by matching other users with DNA test.

I'd probably make a new topic page if you wish to continue with Leven surname.