Author Topic: "My four servants"?  (Read 539 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
"My four servants"?
« on: Wednesday 31 January 18 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am hoping someone can help me with a few words in this extract from the Will of Thomas Carter of Selling (dated 1653).

I am having a problem with the last two words on the third line down, although I think it reads "my four servants". If that is the case then the next line makes very interesting reading as it includes mention of a "John Ruck", which is interesting as Thomas's wife was Isabella Ruck.

Could Rohn Ruck be related to Isabell?

Many thanks for any ideas.

Matthew

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "My four servants"?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 03:36 GMT (UK) »
Your reading is correct.  Here's the exact transcription.

...Item I give to my fower servants

vizt to William Hilton, John Rucke William Betherstoke and Anne Harris...

I think it's highly likely that John and Isabell could be related - he could be her nephew, for example.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "My four servants"?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Your reading is correct.  Here's the exact transcription.

...Item I give to my fower servants

vizt to William Hilton, John Rucke William Betherstoke and Anne Harris...

I think it's highly likely that John and Isabell could be related - he could be her nephew, for example.

Hi

Thanks for that. The only name I couldn't make out in the list was William's surname. I could make out the "Beth" part at the start but wasn't sure of the last part lol! Glad I got the others right though.

Isabell was the daughter of Richard Rucke and Mary Carter [who were cousins]. So far I don't have a record of a John Rucke in the family but as you say he could be a nephew (or perhaps another cousin).

Thanks again though. :)

Matt