Author Topic: Name for a child born to older parents long after its siblings  (Read 7165 times)

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Name for a child born to older parents long after its siblings
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 25 February 18 19:58 GMT (UK) »
I think one should be very careful about any term which implies that a child is an accident or unwanted in any way. Even if this might in fact be true.
Just imagine the situation from the child's ( and then the adult he quickly becomes) point of view.
I was born when my 20 year old parents had been married 18 months- so nothing obviously untoward about my arrival. But one small comment from them about my birth coming unexpectedly and too soon from a financial point of view (ie they were extemely poor at the time), has coloured my entire relationship with them.
No child should have to think of themselves as being unwelcome or unwanted.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Name for a child born to older parents long after its siblings
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 25 February 18 21:46 GMT (UK) »
My female self used to ask my father " What did you want to call me ?" He always replied "Gary!!"
Then I would ask "Dad did you really want a girl or a boy" He used to reply "A new motorbike"
So although I was loved I always felt a bit of a disappointment ! Its a wonder I wasn't called Norton !!

Mind my grandmother was 47 when she had my father (she was 17 when her first child was born) Granddad was 60 when he was born
However they did have a younger handsome lodger

so not sure what you would call my Dad!!
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk