Author Topic: 1891 and 1881 census  (Read 878 times)

Offline blondyface

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 and 1881 census
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 February 18 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help, Queen's road is now called Queenstown road, 209 is actually the house I grew up in and still live In now! I just can't seem to find out when the house was built. The little cottages round the corner in Broughton Street going up the back way to Clapham Common have plaques on the front saying 1874, so I wonder if the houses on Queenstown road were built around the same time?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 February 18 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Here is an interesting document about the building and development of Queenstown Road and the surrounding area...it would seem that development of Queens Road took place between 1870-1880

Battersea Park Estate - UCL
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/bartlett/architecture/sites/.../50.03_around_battersea_park.pdf
replacing earlier housing between Albert Bridge and Battersea Bridge Roads. Recent years ... Early history. The park area was formerly the heartland of Battersea Fields. It was intensively cultivated for strip farming and market gardens but thinly inhabited ..... Victoria (later Queen's, now Queenstown) Road became part of a.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 February 18 16:39 GMT (UK) »
So is your house shown here or is it in the gaps on housing on both sides of the road?
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=51.4722&lon=-0.1483&layers=168&b=1
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline blondyface

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 February 18 16:44 GMT (UK) »
I can never really make those maps out lol, but there are gaps on the street for back roads and a roundabout. Thanks for the link.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 February 18 16:47 GMT (UK) »
If you click on Josie's link then press the side by side option at the top you will see the present location too and the old map side by side.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 February 18 07:02 GMT (UK) »
204 on modern google maps looks to be just south of the station of that name, and before the first rail track crosses over, so lots of gaps there.