Author Topic: Them ?  (Read 485 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Them ?
« on: Saturday 10 February 18 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello again.

In the clip below I've blue underlined a word, that makes sence to me if it should read 'them' but by comparing with the letter 'm' as written in the line above and below I'm uncertain. The whole context of the paragraph could change if I get the word wrong.

Part of 1873 correspondence where a 'native' is enquiring of the Government about obtaining land title, following the first survey of the area, and the issuing of Militia title grants to the lots so surveyed.

The applicant having been a traditional squater in the area, wanted to be able to settledown without being moved on each time a Militia family took ocupation of their land grant, and the native family, had to abandon their huts and family cultivations.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Them ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 18 08:41 GMT (UK) »
I agree that it is 'them'. Compare the 'the' in the line above and then the squiggly m.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 February 18 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

I'm old enought to have done my schooling with hand writing, and only as an adult progressed to type. So I tend to skip read, and can get into a lot of trouble, when transcribing old records for the heritage research that I'm interested in.

The first time I flicked through this particular piece I read 'those' which puts a whole new perspective to the applicant's case.

Because of the rebel uprising in the 1860's the Government of the day confiscated large areas of land from the Maori traditional grounds, then set up a Maori Land Court for them to prove traditional occupation, and to claim entitlements.

Considering the Maori had no written language, the Land Court records are the genealogists friend, with family lineage, and occupation, for several generations back in time, recorded in court hearings. However along the way there were many injustices, which are still being addressed today.

- Alan

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 February 18 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Looks like "them" to me!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 February 18 12:01 GMT (UK) »

Definitely looks like "them"
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 February 18 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

And again thank you. I must get my facts right, or I will be in trouble.

The 'Native squatters' read Maori, on the land I'm studying, waited for thirty years before land entitlement issues, were sorted out with the Crown. In 1870 the local maori were invited to make application to the newly formed Maori Land Court to stake their claim. Some family reps did make the necessary journey to present their claims to the court, others did not. This complicated issues, when it came to issuing crown titles to the two set aside, Hukanui Bush reserves.

Despite those issues, in one generation, one of their number rose to be a very respected Chief  serving 17 years as Chairman on their tribes trust board. And a woman in a neighbouring family went on to become the first Maori woman to get a degree at Oxford university. No mean feat when two generations before they had no written language.

Alan.