Author Topic: Dutton? Yorkshire  (Read 1251 times)

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dutton? Yorkshire
« on: Saturday 10 February 18 12:43 GMT (UK) »
I am in the process of resolving all the place names on FTM and have come across a place called Dutton in Yorkshire that I can't find.

It was listed as the place of birth in the 1851 census, they were in Leeds at this time.

I was wondering if anyone had heard of it or whether it may have been misspelt?

Thank you for any information.
Prangnell, Chapman, How, Mumford, Henwood, Owen, Wormald, Robins, Bendall, Turner, Ayton, Watts, Baker, Wiltshire, Longman, Moody, Talbot.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dutton? Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 18 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Is it Hannah CLARKE on the 1851? That place name looks like Oulton to me!

Maureen

EDIT: I see there are others with Dutton given as pob but again,I think it says Oulton. :-\

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 February 18 13:31 GMT (UK) »
I haven't come across anywhere called Dutton in Yorkshire, and neither has the page at Genuki - http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/YRY/Where

My best guess is that it's a mistranscription - as Maureen says, Oulton would be one possibility. There are also places in Yorkshire called Dalton. Do other censuses have anything useful?

If you can supply a name and census reference we can probably help a bit more.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 February 18 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both. Oulton is a good possibility. It was hard to read on the census and ancestry transcribed it as Dutton but I know they often get it wrong.

I don't have a lot of other records for this family so it's hard to compare. I'll have another look in the morning as I've already shut down my computer and it's getting late here in Australia.
Prangnell, Chapman, How, Mumford, Henwood, Owen, Wormald, Robins, Bendall, Turner, Ayton, Watts, Baker, Wiltshire, Longman, Moody, Talbot.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 February 18 13:45 GMT (UK) »
I don't have a lot of other records for this family so it's hard to compare.

As arthurk already asked if you would like to give us a name we may be able to help further - perhaps with other census records to check pob, a baptism etc.......... if you could provide the ref. no for 1851 census that would be helpful too  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 18 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for everyone's help.

I have checked the census again and I think it probably is Oulton. I also checked the Father's birth from a different source and realised that was Oulton North Leeds so it fits.

The census is under the name Caractacus Owen, I think the address may be Great Garden St Leeds. Its actually his daughters Mary and Selina that had the birth pop up as Dutton on the transcript. I actually descend from Caractacus' son James who hasn't been by this census yet so I haven't looked into his siblings too much yet.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 February 18 09:39 GMT (UK) »

The census is under the name Caractacus Owen, I think the address may be Great Garden St Leeds.

Its actually his daughters Mary and Selina that had the birth pop up as Dutton on the transcript.

I actually descend from Caractacus' son James who hasn't been by this census yet so I haven't looked into his siblings too much yet.

If you don’t have access and do require anything else let us know Anc*y have
Caractacus Owen bp 1812, details of his marriage 1833, 1841 living in Oulton,
the address 1851 census HO107; Piece: 2320; Folio: 933; Page: 6 does look like 
Great Garden Street, Leeds, and the pob is Oulton although at first glance it could easily be mistaken for Dutton    ::)

Good luck  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk