Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Help identifying this bridge please.  (Read 8097 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying this bridge please.
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 15 February 18 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Are  you so sure the gates lead to a Church?  It is possible, of course, but I would have expected to see some kind of notice board to indicate the Church and/or Services.

I am not sure of anything. I know nothing about this photo it is all pure speculation and guesswork. Nothing can be ruled out.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 15 February 18 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I think you should all concentrate on Pulborough, if only to eliminate it. The river and the railway are both there.

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/BCA7CD/old-stone-bridge-over-river-arun-pulborough-west-sussex-england-united-BCA7CD.jpg.

London Road and A29. The bridge is extant but the buildings have changed a lot, if correct.

See also the sattelite image.

I never thought the bridge was over a railway, too old.

Hope this helps.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 15 February 18 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Back again,

Are  you so sure the gates lead to a Church?  It is possible, of course, but I would have expected to see some kind of notice board to indicate the Church and/or Services.
I have noted where it's now a defunct railway line that bridges over cuttings have been removed and the cutting filled in to give a level road approach to another road.

The fact that it looks like the bridge parapet is stonework and the stonework retaining wall beyond the bridge to the rights doesn't seem to fit in with the Sussex area, all the bridges I've found have brick parapets and retaining walls are in brick - building stone not available locally but excellent clay for making bricks locally to the railway works.  However most river/canal bridges were in stone!

On the contrary, there is plenty of building stone available in Sussex and a great many stone bridges in West Sussex. Particularly on small rural rds and also on the A272, one being a notable bottleneck with traffic lights.

I know of no bridges in Sussex being removed and cuttings filled in. Rather the old trackways have been turned into rights of way (footpaths). But, I may not know every bridge but having travelled tomany villages deliveri g to shops I know a great many just not this one as yet.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 15 February 18 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Looking at Google Streetview I don't think Pullborough fits.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 15 February 18 12:50 GMT (UK) »
I think you should all concentrate on Pulborough, if only to eliminate it. The river and the railway are both there.

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/BCA7CD/old-stone-bridge-over-river-arun-pulborough-west-sussex-england-united-BCA7CD.jpg.

London Road and A29. The bridge is extant but the buildings have changed a lot, if correct.

See also the sattelite image.

I never thought the bridge was over a railway, too old.

Hope this helps.

Regorian of course it helps, as do all the replies :)  They all give me something to think about.

I thought Pulborough, Stopham or Fittleworth bridges  but none looked right. My original thought was bridge over river, now I don't know what to think, lol. Am now  thinking it didn't look high enough to be over railway line. I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure  :P

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 17 February 18 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Back to throw squibs. That bridge is still there at PULBOROUGH. Not wide enough for modern traffic so has been by-passed by a modern bridge, London Road/A29. Here's a photograph of them

Sorry about the Link, hopefully it will work   

Yes the link worked. Food for thought isn't it? Thank you :)

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 18 February 18 11:14 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can see from maps and street view, the surroundings don't really seem to match. There aren't any cottages next to the bridge in Pulborough (I've also checked old maps), and there isn't a junction with a major road by it either.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 18 February 18 11:40 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can see from maps and street view, the surroundings don't really seem to match. There aren't any cottages next to the bridge in Pulborough (I've also checked old maps), and there isn't a junction with a major road by it either.

Thank you. Back to the drawing board then.