Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Help identifying this bridge please.  (Read 8091 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying this bridge please.
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 18 February 18 11:51 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can see from maps and street view, the surroundings don't really seem to match. There aren't any cottages next to the bridge in Pulborough (I've also checked old maps), and there isn't a junction with a major road by it either.

Yes, I agree, Arthuk, it doesn't fit.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 18 February 18 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Just a few thoughts.

Everyone seems fixated with the bridge being in Sussex with no definite proof, why not post the photo in the common room and open it up to a wider audience.

Is the house typical of a particular area?  There is a house that is a similar type of architecture in Denbighshire, Wales.

Bee :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 18 February 18 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Possibly a better place would be the Handwriting Deciphering & Recognition board, where there are lots of queries about mystery places in photos.

To save duplicating efforts, it would be best either to have a single-post thread there to direct people to this one (anyone can do this), or to have the whole thread moved across, which only a moderator can do.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 18 February 18 19:12 GMT (UK) »
The latter might be better, so that people can see what has already been discussed, although for reasons she has already said, Jane does seen fairly convinced it is probably Sussex. However, I agree, the people on the Handwriting Deciphering & Recognition board are brilliant at finding unknown places.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 18 February 18 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all. I agree I was fixated on Sussex but did say could be anywhere. Only because of fact that grandparents didn't venture far out of Sussex and I thought it looked familiar. The only other place I can thinkb could possibly be kent, he did visit once and had cousin there. Lived in Herne Bay.

If a moderator would like to move it that is fine by me. I wouldn't know how to do this.

Thanks for all your help.

Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 18 February 18 19:19 GMT (UK) »
The latter might be better, so that people can see what has already been discussed, although for reasons she has already said, Jane does seen fairly convinced it is probably Sussex. However, I agree, the people on the Handwriting Deciphering & Recognition board are brilliant at finding unknown places.

Yes I did think Sussex but appreciated it could be anywhere and I certainly would not rule out any other location. Perhaps posting on Sussex board was mistake.

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 18 February 18 19:25 GMT (UK) »
I don't suppose you can make out what is on that poster outside the newer bungalow by any chance?  e.g. the picture on it or any words?

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 18 February 18 19:50 GMT (UK) »
I don't suppose you can make out what is on that poster outside the newer bungalow by any chance?  e.g. the picture on it or any words?

Not sure the bungalow is in same location  to bridge just on same page in album. It's a very  bad picture tried higher dpi but definition just not there. Did think words and  last word was children.

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 18 February 18 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Oh.  Worth a try!  Thanks.