Author Topic: Sarah Thompson Cooper Burial Inquiry  (Read 2753 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Thompson Cooper Burial Inquiry
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 17 February 18 12:33 GMT (UK) »
There is a cemetery search for Wandsworth area but documents appear to cost £8
http://burials.wandsworth.gov.uk/#

There is no clear way that I can see that you have the right person unless you have a very good idea of the actual date of death. 

There do appear to be records which could be them but they could be anyone  :-\
Cooper   Joseph       Burial   16/11/1908
Cooper   Sarah       Burial   15/12/1932
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 17 February 18 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Rosie, this is a help.  :) If this is Sarah's burial you have found I or someone else perhaps, could look at the Evening Chronicle (Newcastle City Library) notices for about a week before this to see if there was a death notice announcing to the locals that she had died.

It might be worth a try.  I had an ancestor who died in 1918 right across the country but his body was returned in days of death to be buried at Sacriston, which had been his home area.

Wemorin3 I could likely do this death notice look up at some point over the next two weeks if you let me know if you think that there may be a possibility this could be your ancestor.

Thank you Rosie for taking the time to find this additional information. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 17 February 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
By the way, in the Ward's directory  dated 1936 under the Whitley Bay area there is a 'James C Read' listed under 18 Seatonville Road M.  He is recorded as a manager.  All M addresses denote Monkseaton

This is under the alphabetical part rather than the street key so if this is your James this may have been work address rather than home address.

In 1938 the same entry but now he is on the telephone - (T923)

These directories are held at North Shields library in the local studies department.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 22 February 18 13:04 GMT (UK) »
I have looked for a death notice for Sarah working back from the 15th but unfortunately have not found one. :-\

Offline wemorin3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 23 February 18 01:13 GMT (UK) »
By the way, in the Ward's directory  dated 1936 under the Whitley Bay area there is a 'James C Read' listed under 18 Seatonville Road M.  He is recorded as a manager.  All M addresses denote Monkseaton

This is under the alphabetical part rather than the street key so if this is your James this may have been work address rather than home address.

In 1938 the same entry but now he is on the telephone - (T923)

These directories are held at North Shields library in the local studies department.

That's awesome!  Thank you so much.  I kept running across a James Read fish monger who had four sons named as mourners, one of which was James.  Its a possible connection but I have no evidence. 

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 23 February 18 13:21 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if they also lived in Gosforth at one point?

I sent you a pm yesterday as you know with Constance's 1971 Whitley Bay (Monkseaton) address which was listed in the phone book which is held at Newcastle library. 

I had a quick look at other phone books of years ago and I think now James may have been listed in the Gosforth area during some years. 

When I next get to the Newcastle library in the next few weeks I will look again.  In retrospect I think this could be your James. I too also recall seeing a James Read fishmonger - can't remember now where.

Best Wishes :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 24 February 18 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wemorin3,

I think you may be able to rule out that your James was connected to the fish merchant.  There is a file which I have just found at North Shields library which contains a family tree and newspaper articles etc on that Read family.  James Read the fish merchant did have a son James 1883-1962.  The latter married a Jane Alice Mackay at Christ Church in 1929 according to what I have found.  So perhaps you can rule out the fish merchant lead.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 24 February 18 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Wait a minute. ... there was a James Cook Read born in Newcastle in 1901.  Could this be your James and could he be the son of the James and Jane above?

Perhaps this could be the missing link on why they came to this area?  This was his family's home area perhaps?

If the fish merchant is your James relation you are fortunate as there is a file on them at North Shields library and a photocopied old fashioned photo of their old shop with 2 men and a little boy in front. There is also a write up on a William Read of the fish merchant who was found dead in tragic circumstances (drowned in a barrel of water) in 1925.

The local fish merchant James Read is written of as 'Well known and highly respected' - he appears to have been very highly esteemed as far as I can make out.

If this turns out to be your James family you could contact North Shields library and ask for photo copies of what they have in the file.  There is a lot of information both hand written and in print.

I am at work again from tomorrow but I will keep digging for you now and then when I can.

Best Wishes :)

AMENDMENT:  James would not have been son of that James if James and Jane married 1929.  What am I thinking!  However, perhaps he may be the son of one of the other sons.

Unfortunately, I have to go now but I think there is much to look into further on this thread perhaps?

If you can let me know any more on what you know this may be of help?

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 24 February 18 15:46 GMT (UK) »
I have just checked GRO and James Cook Read born 1901 registered Newcastle, mmn was Cook.

Also, freebmd shows that an Emily Cook married a William Miles Read in 1890 when you put in a search under Newcastle or Northumberland.  However, the word Kendal appears by the side, I'm not sure why.