Author Topic: Elusive Arthur  (Read 1745 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elusive Arthur
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 February 18 23:55 GMT (UK) »
The GRO pdf is only available for births and deaths.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 February 18 23:57 GMT (UK) »
The GRO pdf is only available for births and deaths.

Oh shoot, that's right.   :(

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 February 18 02:09 GMT (UK) »
An outside possibility in 1891 is the Arthur Oakes aged 23 born Burnham, Buckinghamshire, working as a domestic footman in the household of Mary Ailesbury (Mary, Marchioness of Ailesbury) at 78 Pall Mall, Westminster.

In the same household is her nephew, Rev Henry Cunliffe.  Following his death in 1894 a newspaper article stated Henry was very well known in Wrexham, being the son of Robert Henry Cunliffe of Acton Park.

Although Burnham obviously isn't in London, I can't find this particular Arthur Oakes after 1891.  In 1871 & 1881 he is in Burnham with his parents William, a gardener, and Agnes.

Without the marriage certificate though its all guesswork.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 February 18 02:53 GMT (UK) »
An outside possibility in 1891 is the Arthur Oakes aged 23 born Burnham, Buckinghamshire, working as a domestic footman in the household of Mary Ailesbury (Mary, Marchioness of Ailesbury) at 78 Pall Mall, Westminster.

In the same household is her nephew, Rev Henry Cunliffe.  Following his death in 1894 a newspaper article stated Henry was very well known in Wrexham, being the son of Robert Henry Cunliffe of Acton Park.

Although Burnham obviously isn't in London, I can't find this particular Arthur Oakes after 1891.  In 1871 & 1881 he is in Burnham with his parents William, a gardener, and Agnes.

Without the marriage certificate though its all guesswork.

This chap seems to have continued his career in service, progressing to butler in another of the grand houses of London, though he had lost a few years in age by the last census (b c 1873).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 February 18 05:13 GMT (UK) »
However this has been a family mystery how Arthur born in London ended up in the North West/North Wales.

Because that is where his wife was born.  In 1901 she was in service in Hoylake Cum West Kirby so presumedly that is how they met.

Debra  :)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 February 18 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat.

If you look at the household he is in in 1901 census, members come from Scotland, Ireland and Mexico, plus more local places, and London, so remember that people did travel for a variety of reasons.
Do you have his marriage certificate to help to locate his father, and then his parents?

Offline davidmorgan68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 15:18 GMT (UK) »
My goodness me so many helpful people here I really appreciate the replies. Sorry late responding to all your great messages. Here's were I am.

Ellen Price (Wife) - Thanks to Dundee as I missed her in the 1901 Census at Hoylake Cum West Kirby, she however
was born in Allington, Rossett, Denbighshire 1878. There's another mystery can't find her on the 1891 Census, but all others I can.

I have researched all Arthur Oakes born in England & wales 1868-1870. So the Camberwell & Popular ones still lived there in 1901 & 1911.

I have however, stumbled across Arthur Oakes 1891 Census born in "Surrey" in Willesden as a Visitor ??

Does the 1939 Register contain DOB or just Year of birth?

With regards to a marriage certificate, was it compulusary in 1904 to identify your previous history? As like have stated no one in the family
knows where he originated from or anything so again the information could be incorrect?

Again thank you very much for your replies love this site and will help anyone as much as you have responsed to me.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 15:23 GMT (UK) »
The 1939 register will give a date of birth though they were not required to prove it so it could be wrong.

Marriage certificates can also contain 'lies' as no proof to authenticate the information was required. Do you have the certificate as that is the normal route most of us would take.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidmorgan68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie. I guess that's the next route.