Author Topic: Marriage of Thomas Wayt of Swindon  (Read 6939 times)

Offline bsward

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Thomas Wayt of Swindon
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 18 March 18 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Also - there's some nice evidence showing that the Bakers did marry into the Wayte family (outside the PRs) - see 1461/1750 and 1461/1736 on TNA catalogue, showing land being acquired by Mary, wife of Richard Baker, and then being in the possession of Thomas Wayt, brother of Richard Wayt.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 19 March 18 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Interesting to see someone else trying to piece together the Wayt family.

Is there any reason for you discounting Mary Hickes as Richard Baker's wife?

There is a 1655 marriage at Stratton St Margaret for Richard Baker and Mary Hickes. It seems to fit given we know Richard's wife was called Mary, and given that Richard's children were born around 1655 in Stratton Margaret (e.g. Mary, probable wife of Thomas Wayt, was born there in 1657). I have also not yet been able to find Mary Hickes's baptism or will. She is described as of "Rodbourne" in her marriage record. Presumably Rodbourne Cheney given there is a Katherine Hickes who marries at Rodbourne Cheney in 1661.

I am reasonably comfortable that Richard Baker was the son of another Richard Baker - there's a 1622 baptism record at Stratton St Margaret which seems to fit.

Ben

Hi Ben

I hadn't discounted Mary Hickes as Richard Baker's wife myself and I'm pretty sure this is the right marriage. What I've so far not been able to find is a christening for Mary Hickes.

There is a Mary Hickes christened on 4 September 1631 in Highworth - the daughter of John Hickes.

I can't prove it yet but it is possible she is the Mary who married Richard Baker. Highworth isn't that far away.

I've not come across the Rodbourne reference yet so I'll follow that lead up to see where it leads. Could Rodbourne [or Rodbourne Cheney] be near Highworth?

I haven't come across the 1622 christening of Richard Baker in Stratton St Margaret yet myself. I agree this is a strong contender. Do you know if there are any other children christened there?

Any idea where Richard Baker senior was married or where he might have been from?

More to follow soon.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Interesting to see someone else trying to piece together the Wayt family.

Is there any reason for you discounting Mary Hickes as Richard Baker's wife?

There is a 1655 marriage at Stratton St Margaret for Richard Baker and Mary Hickes. It seems to fit given we know Richard's wife was called Mary, and given that Richard's children were born around 1655 in Stratton Margaret (e.g. Mary, probable wife of Thomas Wayt, was born there in 1657). I have also not yet been able to find Mary Hickes's baptism or will. She is described as of "Rodbourne" in her marriage record. Presumably Rodbourne Cheney given there is a Katherine Hickes who marries at Rodbourne Cheney in 1661.

I am reasonably comfortable that Richard Baker was the son of another Richard Baker - there's a 1622 baptism record at Stratton St Margaret which seems to fit.

Ben

Hi Ben

Is Rodbourne Cheyney near Swindon? I've just been looking at a Will of Grace White in which she appears to describe herself as being "of Even Swindon in the parish of Rodborne Cheyney in the county of Wiltshire".

If Swindon and Rodbourne Cheyney are close then it's possible that the Katherine Hickes who you found marrying in that parish in 1661 might be Mary's sister. It give me a place to start looking at least.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Also - there's some nice evidence showing that the Bakers did marry into the Wayte family (outside the PRs) - see 1461/1750 and 1461/1736 on TNA catalogue, showing land being acquired by Mary, wife of Richard Baker, and then being in the possession of Thomas Wayt, brother of Richard Wayt.

I've not come across the first one of these myself but agree it looks like strong evidence. The second reference [1461/1736] is for a Deed of Settlement dated 17 June 1680 and held at the Wiltshire and Swindon Archives. The description on TNA catalogue state:

"By which Richard Baker yeoman of Stratton St Margaret covenants for John Hughes the younger yeoman of Walcott to stand seized of Culvering Heys, Down Hick Heys, 5 acres meadow in Eastcott, the Paddock (2 acres) and 2 acres meadow in Eastcott Mead: to the use of Mary wife of Richard Baker."

I wonder if these lands were then passed on to the Wayt family through the marriage of Richard and Mary's daughter Mary to Thomas Wayt?

Matt

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Rodbourne Cheyney is to the west of Strattion St Margaret and Highworth is to the north of Stratton St Margaret. Rodbourne Cheyney is north west of Swindon town centre although it is part of Swindon now.Maybe 2 mile or so from the town centre.  Even Swindon is/was just next to/between Rodbourne Cheyney and Swindon. It is now Rodbourne, although there is a Even Swindon school and there used to be a Even Swindon working mans club, not sure if it is still there.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi MattD30,
My wife came from Swindon and I remember her parents often referred to parishes in & around Swindon including Rodbourne Cheney which is now part of Swindon - see here;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodbourne

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 07:25 GMT (UK) »
There are several things to consider, and I have been guilty of not doing so. At the time in question, Swindon was little more than a village on top of the hill, Eascott was a parish on  the north side of the hill and down into the land below. It was sparsely populated. 
Stratton St, Margaret was much bigger in area than it is now, it included Gorse Hill and Penhill, both now part of Swindon. It also in the east it followed the Roman Ermin street north to south [more or less] for about 3 or 4 miles [may have been more].
Rodbourne Cheyney was also not heavily populated and to the west of Gorse Hill and I would say south west of Penhill. Even Swindon, now Rodbourne, was to the south/ south west of Rodbourne Cheyney and to the north west/north of Eastcott. I don't think there was another parish between Eastcott and Even Swindon/Rodbourne & rodbourne Cheyney.
A good idea would be to look at a present day map and see the areas mentioned and envision them has they were at the time.
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 08:03 GMT (UK) »
From the Wiltshire OPC site; 
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ls3/
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 12:51 GMT (UK) »
There are several things to consider, and I have been guilty of not doing so. At the time in question, Swindon was little more than a village on top of the hill, Eascott was a parish on  the north side of the hill and down into the land below. It was sparsely populated. 
Stratton St, Margaret was much bigger in area than it is now, it included Gorse Hill and Penhill, both now part of Swindon. It also in the east it followed the Roman Ermin street north to south [more or less] for about 3 or 4 miles [may have been more].
Rodbourne Cheyney was also not heavily populated and to the west of Gorse Hill and I would say south west of Penhill. Even Swindon, now Rodbourne, was to the south/ south west of Rodbourne Cheyney and to the north west/north of Eastcott. I don't think there was another parish between Eastcott and Even Swindon/Rodbourne & rodbourne Cheyney.
A good idea would be to look at a present day map and see the areas mentioned and envision them has they were at the time.

Definitely gives us lots of areas within what we could now term 'the Swindon area' to investigate.

As you say looking at a present day map is a good idea and I will try and do that and compare it with a contemporary map [or as close as I can find].

Matt