Author Topic: James Jack  (Read 3417 times)

Offline rankpin95

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Jack
« on: Friday 16 March 18 23:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for some help with the above person from someone who would know a bit more about Scottish research than me. My 3x great grandfather (Leslie Rankin) married the Daughter of James Jack in 1848 in Garvagh, County Londonderry, Ireland, she was called Margaret.  A newspaper posting recording the marriage states that Margaret was the daughter of James Jack Esquire of Glasgow. On the marriage certificate it states James Jack was a 'steward' and that the daughters address was 'Ballintemple' a townland near Garvagh in Ireland. Important to note that Margaret died in 1867 aged 44, making her birth date somewhere between 1822 and 1823.

I'm just struggling to locate James Jack, as there are so many people with that name in Scottish census returns. I don't think James moved to Ireland at all because there are no death records for him here.

Anybody that can add a little clarity to my research would be most welcome.

Thank you.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Jack
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 18 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Long shot...

Margaret Jack.  born 14/09/1821, Glasgow.   father James Jack,  mother  Ann Bowman.

James Jack  married  Ann Bowman   29/01/1819,     Barony.

Offline rankpin95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 March 18 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help!

I thought that was the correct one also but I think that Margaret is still living in Scotland in 1851 and 1861. It is very difficult to pinpoint the correct one. I assume the Esquire attached to James Jack's name comes from his occupation of 'Steward'. I know that most likely correlates to land steward but I read somewhere it could be a ship steward ? On census forms the only stewards are located near Edinburgh with the name 'James Jack'.

This is the one part of my family tree where I am really struggling so help is very much needed.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 March 18 11:18 GMT (UK) »
The entry in the Glasgow Barony marriages register suggests that James Jack, carter, and Ann Bowman, both in this parish, were married on the same day as Thomas Bowman, farmer in this parish, and Joanna Maxwell in the parish of Cambuslang.

Harry

Offline rankpin95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 March 18 00:48 GMT (UK) »
You see that's another reason why I don't think that's the correct James Jack. The profession of carter is I believe someone who transports goods by horse drawn cart ? Unless its possible someone with that occupation can have the title of 'esquire' ?

It most definitely points to this being the correct person, but his occupation has always put doubt in my mind. In his daughters marriage certificate he is a 'Steward' whereas here he is a Carter ?

Thanks again.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 March 18 09:31 GMT (UK) »
"Steward" would most likely mean a farm steward, a sort of foreman on the farm. The carters as you say transported goods by horse and cart. They tended to be a rough bunch of men, often in trouble with the law for drunkenness and fighting and endangering life and limb by careless driving. Certainly not "esquires"!

Harry

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 March 18 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Focusing on timescale (1849), Esq., and Glasgow only, there is a James Jack Esq., of Milton, mentioned in an article in the Glasgow Herald of 13th Aug 1849. He was attending a business dinner held to celebrate the work of a chap responsible for completion of a branch line of the railway to Campsie. Might be worth trying to check him out further?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 March 18 10:47 GMT (UK) »
You see that's another reason why I don't think that's the correct James Jack. The profession of carter is I believe someone who transports goods by horse drawn cart ? Unless its possible someone with that occupation can have the title of 'esquire' ?
Esquire specifically implied ownership of property, or at the very least a position of respect in society. I suppose it's possible that an esquire might fall on bad times and turn to being a carter, but they are pretty far apart.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 March 18 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Meant to also say, in case any significance, as well as in the Irish newspapers, mention of Margaret's wedding also appeared in the Glasgow Herald and the Greenock Advertiser.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .