Author Topic: Photo Restore Eliza Aniie Beckett/Dawson from Sheffield  (Read 469 times)

Offline Linda Chapman-Beckett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Photo Restore Eliza Aniie Beckett/Dawson from Sheffield
« on: Saturday 17 March 18 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Could you please help me with photo of my Great Grandmother, Eliza Aniie Beckett/Dawson from Sheffield.
This is a poor copy but all I have, there are no other pictures of her.
I would appreciate any help.
Thank you
Linda Chapman

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Restore Eliza Aniie Beckett/Dawson from Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 March 18 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Linda.
I had a go, but not much of an improvement I'm afraid - not a lot of detail there to work on.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 March 18 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for trying, yes it is difficult from the copy I have, but I appreciate you trying.

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 March 18 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,

Like Peter, I took a look at this photo too and came to the same conclusion. I did notice that the size of the file you posted was less than 10% of the maximum allowed on Rootschat. There could be a couple of reasons for this:
1. There are large 'hard black' and 'hard white' areas in which the details have been lost. They can't be 'restored' and can at best be 'reconstructed' to how they might have looked. The lack of fine detail may be the reason why the file is so small.
2. You may have scanned the photo at a lower resolution than the optimum. Most modern scanners can scan at a resolution of 600 (and sometimes 1200) dots per inch (dpi). Setting your scanner settings (or W10 scanning app) at the highest scanning resolution possible ensures your file has the best quality in terms of resolution.
3. Scanners save photos as .jpg files as default. In .jpg files, individual 'dots' in the photo are averaged out into larger 'blocks' to reduce the file size. A high quality 'JPG compression' creates smaller blocks. A low quality JPG compression creates larger blocks. There were quite large 'blocks' in your file. I don't see any easy way to tweak this in Windows 10. If you really want to get the best restore, my suggestion is to use the Windows 10 scanner app settings to save the scanned photo as a TIFF (uncompressed) file. If this is larger than 500 KB then there are many (free) on-line websites that will convert your scanned .TIFF file to a .JPG file.

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 March 18 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Mike. Unfortunately the phot is not the original, i don't have it. it was a scanned pic to me on photo copy paper, and its all i have. Thank you for looking at it and trying though, I appreciate that. I treasure it anyway, as all I have of Great Grandparents of my father.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 March 18 22:36 GMT (UK) »
A try from me
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 March 18 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Tks Pat!!
In this one I can see myself when I was young! she looks like she had thick hair, and so did I . Still do.
She was born in Cambridgeshire, Ely, Hilro. Parents were Thatchers and Shepherds amd a grandparent owned a Pub, Rose and Crown, now a Vets.
She lost her Mum when she was very young. So I look in her face and womder about her,
what she thought and felt in life.
The child in this photo was soon to go with her parents to Australia, and she never saw them again... so lots of sadness...
Thank you xxx