Author Topic: DNA 'managed by'. Who do you contact?  (Read 747 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
DNA 'managed by'. Who do you contact?
« on: Friday 23 March 18 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I have lots of DNA matches where the persons name is followed in brackets by 'managed by' and another name.

Which one are we supposed to send messages to? I've been sending to the first name but perhaps that's why I'm not getting many replies?  :-[  Should I be messaging the 'managed by' name?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA 'managed by'. Who do you contact?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 March 18 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Jill

contact the "managed by" but put the name of the person you are matched to in the message.

I manage three other trees/DNA as well as my own. Basically, they have had their DNA done but I do the research for them and their tree.
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 March 18 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Jill. I should have worked that out before I started messaging! I shall have to go back and re-do each one - when I can be bothered!

I'm still really happy with the few who have replied and have found a real gem of a result as well as a Canadian lady who I'm exchanging info with, but I'm still baffled by the others who don't reply. I'm now taking note of when they last logged in and - if it wasn't this year - I'm not bothering for now.

Having said that, I suppose if someone else is managing their results, the person might not have logged in for ages so that defeats that argument!
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 18:04 BST (UK) »
Jill, As far as I know, you have sent the message to the correct person, i.e. messages sent to 'FW managed by margaretjanew' (my husband) sends messages to me, as he is not at all interested in family history.

When you manage someone else's DNA you take responsibility for it completely.

For those you are particularly interested in it might be worth sending to again at some stage anyway, as I have found the odd one or two that respond to the second message, but not the first.

I'm not sure how I show to other people as far as logged in date goes. Since I use my tablet mainly and don't sign out then back in again every day, do I show as permanently logged in, or the date I actually signed in, which was some weeks ago?

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 18:10 BST (UK) »
Just looked at one of my matches, who manages 3 other tests as well.

Clicking on them individually shows the same 5 messages that we have exchanged, that is, all messages go to the manager.

Hope this helps

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 18:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, it does. Thanks.

I am starting to get a few more replies now. On Monday I spent hours dealing with queries that came up - and enjoyed myself enormously! My family just roll their eyes!!

If I've got an answer from a match that leads to more info I will re-message the 'shared matches' to see if they will react to the info. It seems to work - some people just need a kick up the whatsit!!
HELP!!!