Author Topic: Hanna-Anderson family in Bangor/Newtownards area  (Read 3534 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hanna-Anderson family in Bangor/Newtownards area
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 March 18 23:33 BST (UK) »
I suppose it could be, if so I just don't know how it happened - the witnesses were Robert Anderson and Jane Hanna, the minister was George Hughes, everyone signed their own names, so how 'McKee'  was entered onto the page and was passed by unnoticed (if a mistake) is odd, it stands out like a sore thumb.

Offline brfoster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 March 18 00:32 BST (UK) »
Errors are certainly not unheard of in old handwritten records here in Australia. Ironically, I do have McKees in a completely different branch of my family history. They were from Drumlough in Hillborough, Co. Down.

Offline brfoster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 March 18 01:02 BST (UK) »

... What is your interest in David HANNA and Margaret ANDERSON? Are you a descendant also? I would appreciate it if you could share whatever information you have?

No, I'm not related, I just noticed that the father's surname in the civil marriage registration didn't really look at all like Hanna, you can view the digitised image on the website of the General Register Office (Northern Ireland), it's pay to view:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

Edited to add: Just an observation, but glass blowers were not thick on the ground, having said that, I'm struggling to capitalise on that in terms of identifying Daniel McKee.  There were McKees in Ballyholme and Ballymagee (source: PRONI Will Calendars), but I can't gain traction on a Daniel, let alone one who was a glassblower.

Hi again gaffy.

I tried searching the "geni.nidirect" website for the marriage certificate you sent me but got no result.

Is that where you got it originally?

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 March 18 01:17 BST (UK) »
Yes, you should have no problem finding it, there was only 1 marriage registered under David Hanna in 1863, it was registered in Newtownards registration district. 

Offline brfoster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 March 18 02:02 BST (UK) »
OK. Got it thanks. Made the mistake of entering "Down" in the Registration District. I thought that would give all results in Co. Down. Obviously not. I'm not familiar enough with the terminology yet. Thanks again.

Offline brfoster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 March 18 02:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you to both gaffy and aghadowey for your tremendous help.

I have a general question. I have the marriage and death certificates for John HANNA in Australia. Both give his place of birth as Bangor Demesne. I know that "demesne" is an old French word for "domain" or "park" or possibly even "estate". I was just wondering if "Bangor Demesne" had any particular significance?

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 26 March 18 08:37 BST (UK) »
I would understand 'Bangor Desmesne' as the area focused around Bangor Castle, historically the estate of the Wards and today the Castle is Bangor's town hall:

http://lordbelmontinnorthernireland.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/bangor-castle.html

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,750424,881252,10,7 (note Ballymagee just east)

Robert Edward Ward was the landlord for quite a few folk in Griffith's Valuation (local print date 1863):

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/

Offline brfoster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 26 March 18 09:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gaffy. So I take it my ancestors would have been labourers working on the estate?

I have one last request (hopefully!). I haven't been able to find the death certificate for John HANNA's first wife, Margaret HANNA (nee ANDERSON). I know she died between sometime 1867 and 1873. Anecdotal family history says it was 1869 but I haven't been able to find any confirmation of that.

I have tried all the usual websites without luck.

Any suggestions?

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 26 March 18 09:17 BST (UK) »

... So I take it my ancestors would have been labourers working on the estate? ...

Not necessarily, if you mean working for the Wards.  As likely than not they simply leased their property from the Wards.