Author Topic: COYNE Baptisms ... Tyne & Wear Archives  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COYNE Baptisms ... Tyne & Wear Archives
« on: Monday 26 March 18 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone!  I was just wondering if someone could possibly help me at all when next in the Tyne & Wear Archives?

I am searching for the births of several Coyne children who, according to the various census returns, were all born in Wrekenton.  However, there are no records of these births in the Gateshead Register Office, and the lady there said she could find no trace of their births in any area.  As registration was compulsory by that time, she felt that they wouldn't have simply been unregistered.  She felt that maybe they had all been born in Scotland or Ireland, but as they were living in the Wrekenton area from before the 1861 census and through subsequent census returns, I feel sure they must be listed somewhere locally.  I have also checked numerous sites using different variants of the surname but still no joy.

I was therefore hoping that there might be some mention in the baptism records of St Jospeh's RC Church in Birtley.  One of the children, Bridget got married there in 1884 to a James Green, so it must have been a church that the family used.

If anyone can have a look for me, I believe the records have the reference C.B13.

I am trying to find the following:

Peter Coyne, born c1856, Wrekenton
Mary Coyne, born c 1859, Wrekenton
On..... (illegible female) Coyne, born c1861, Wrekenton
Bridget Coyne, born c1864, Wrekenton

Their parents were Thomas Coyne, a Mason's Labourer, or plain Labourer, and Bridget Coyne. I do not know her maiden name and would love to find out.  Both parents were born in Ireland.

My family branch stems from Bridget Coyne born c1864.

Many, many thanks!

Nina

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: COYNE Baptisms ...
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 March 18 16:54 BST (UK) »
GRO site has a birth for a Bridget Coyne Sep 1865 Gateshead 10a 662 mmn Berighan

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: COYNE Baptisms ...
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 March 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: COYNE Baptisms ... Tyne & Wear Archives
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 March 18 17:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks ... sorry, I should have mentioned that that is not the right Bridget Coyne as that Coyne family are to be found in the census returns living in South Shore Gateshead, not Wrekenton.  I thought I had struck gold and puchased that birth cert to find it was the wrong family!!!  Nina

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not been to TWAS, but I unexpectedly got the opportunity to visit the local LDS FHC today and they have digital images of the St Joseph's registers.

Entry 1688
Born 30th March 1864, baptised 1st May 1864 Birgitta Coyne daughter of Thomae and Birgitta Coyne (maiden name Cadden) Godfather Marcus Conry, Godmother  Hannah Laydon.

I did find other Coynes with Thomas and Bridget as parents and MMN of MULCadden, which is near enough to make me think they may be the correct family but the living are demanding my attention at the mo, so will review them and post back later.

Boo

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 15:11 BST (UK) »
That’s fabulous Boo!!!

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 18:26 BST (UK) »
More smoke and mirrors a lot of 'almost' but not 'quite' right, though records are often hit and miss on ages etc

other possible entries I could see in the register for St Joseph, RC,  Birtley were:

Baptisms

entry 1233
Born 17th February 1859, baptised 20th February 1859, Patritus Coyne son of Thomae and Brigitta Coyne (maiden name MULHEARN). Godfather Dominicus Rogers, Godmother Brigitta Rogers

entry 1234
Born 17th February 1859, baptised 20th February 1859, Maria Coyne daughter of Thomae and Brigitta Coyne (maiden name MULHEARN). Godfather Thomas Malone Godmother Brigitta Conry.

Birth year matches for your Mary who was probably a twin, I can only assume that Patrick died as he doesn't seem to appear on later census records- though nothing in the civil registration index to match.

entry 1412
Born 8th March 1861, baptised 17th March 1861 Hannah Coyne daughter of Thomae and Brigitta Coyne (maiden name MULCADDEN). Godfather Jacobus Mealy Godmother Brigitta Vasey.
Though the On -- (female) on the census return has the age recorded as 2 and a half months and the census was taken on the night of 7th April so if its the same child then the age doesn't quite match

There was a burial entry in 1881
Died 20th December 1881 Thomae Coyne from Wreckenton, buried 22nd December 1881, St Joseph , Birtley - there is a corresponding death registration on the GRO site, Gateshead district Q4 1881, age 60

I ran out of time, so didn't find anything for Peter, but I should be back there late next month so will have a looksee. I can also check to see if there was a burial for little Patrick.

As the registrar says, it was compulsory to register births back then, but there is nothing coming up that even vaguely matches these baptisms. I don't know what, if any, checks were made to ensure people complied with the requirement. These days there are so many ways that registration could be chased up, maternity care, hospital records etc etc but way back then nothing like that was available to the ordinary folk.

On balance though, the matching parents names and abodes on the records in St Joseph's register does make them (in my opinion) fairly possible to be the children you can see on the census records. At least these give you something to think about and decide if you think they are 'yours' or not.

Sorry I wasn't able to come up with anything absolutely conclusive.

Boo

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo ... great stuff!  Certainly the closest and most promising info so far!  I will sit down tomorrow and go through it thoroughly.  Brilliant.  Thanks so much for going out of your way and for taking the time to look into this for me.  I really do appreciate it!  Nina

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 07:04 BST (UK) »
I think some of them are hiding under various spellings of both parents names.

Mary Coyle, mmn Mulherron. Mar qtr Gateshead 1859.
Patrick Coyle, mmn Mulherron. Mar qtr Gateshead 1859.
Hannah Coyne, mmn McCurran. Mar qtr Gateshead 1861.
James Coyne, mmn Moherron, Dec qtr Gateshead1862.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins