Author Topic: DNA Testing and Blood Group B+  (Read 2437 times)

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
DNA Testing and Blood Group B+
« on: Tuesday 27 March 18 08:27 BST (UK) »
I've always been a bit dubious about the use of DNA testing and genealogy, and I don't have a very scientific brain to wholly understand if it would really give me more than a general idea of where in the world my ancestors come from in the distant past, but I have blood group B+ which I inherited from my mother and which I understand is rare in England. All the ancestors I have traced (and I have gathered a lot over the years) are English, the only query line I have is my mother's father who was born in Australia in 1895. His mother's family came from Lancashire but he was illegitimate and I haven't been able to trace his  father. My grandfather, unusually, had black hair and blue eyes - which neither I nor my mother inherited.

Might a DNA test suggest a line of enquiry for me?

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Testing and Blood Group B+
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 11:35 BST (UK) »
I am B+ blood group. On average 1 person in 12 has it about 8.5 per cent of the population.
UK 8 per cent
Australia 8 per cent
NZ 9 per cent

I share the group with my Father/Daug. My Son has not been tested fpr grouping.
My Fathers Anc is Irish/English as is mine.

As to DNA testing its not my area.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 19:04 BST (UK) »
I've always been a bit dubious about the use of DNA testing and genealogy, and I don't have a very scientific brain to wholly understand if it would really give me more than a general idea of where in the world my ancestors come from in the distant past, but I have blood group B+ which I inherited from my mother and which I understand is rare in England. All the ancestors I have traced (and I have gathered a lot over the years) are English, the only query line I have is my mother's father who was born in Australia in 1895. His mother's family came from Lancashire but he was illegitimate and I haven't been able to trace his  father. My grandfather, unusually, had black hair and blue eyes - which neither I nor my mother inherited.

Might a DNA test suggest a line of enquiry for me?

Carole

Black hair and blue eyes are a common combination in Ireland, and there was a lot of Irish immigration into Lancashire.

Harry

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 20:03 BST (UK) »
DNA testing most certainly could help find your Australian grandfather's paternal family.

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 20:23 BST (UK) »
I am also B+ blood group.

My DNA is 68.2% English, 22.2% Irish/Scottish/Welsh, 4.4% Scandinavian, 3.8% Ashkenazi Jewish, 1.4% North Africa.
I have known Irish Ancestry.
I would love to know where the Ashkenazi Jewish comes from.

guest189040

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 20:27 BST (UK) »
Both my Wife and I had the DNA test, after the first flush of useless links everything dried up.

My Wife came out as 25% Irish, despite going back 500 years she has zero Irish connections.

The Ancestry tests are only a partial test and then of dubious results.

Needless to say we have not been impressed.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 20:42 BST (UK) »
I am also B+ blood group.

My DNA is 68.2% English, 22.2% Irish/Scottish/Welsh, 4.4% Scandinavian, 3.8% Ashkenazi Jewish, 1.4% North Africa.
I have known Irish Ancestry.
I would love to know where the Ashkenazi Jewish comes from.

It's looks as if you've tested with MyHeritage. So have I. I tested earlier with FTDNA FamilyFinder, and they sent me one set of results - e.g. 0% Scandinavian, 32% Western & Central Europe -  then they emailed me revised results, e.g. 33% Scandinavian, 0% Western & Central Europe. I've had 5% Finland and North Siberia, which later disappeared, and I got a small percentage of Sephardic Jewish. That has disappeared with MyHeritage results, but they gave me back a bit of Finland and the Baltics (thanks for that!), and 1% each of Nigerian and North African. Truly, you pays your money and you takes your pick.
I can remember, in the days before genetic genealogy, when you could get car stickers in Scotland saying Pict, or Scot (can't remember if they did an Angle one). The point is, you could decide what you were, whatever appealed to you most. In the same way, I think you can pick your favourite ethnicity out of your autosomal DNA test results and stick with it.
Harry

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 21:31 BST (UK) »
Yes hdw  I tested with MyHeritage, it has to be said a little reluctantly. The kit was bought for another family member who refused to do it   ;D Then someone in the family said no so I was roped in  ;D. I thought it wouldn't be worth doing it because my sister had but in actual fact our results are quite different.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 23:07 BST (UK) »
My husband has B+ blood group, his DNA results have just come through (although no sign of mine sent off at the same time) and it shows he is 100% Northern European, that is 88.5% English and the rest Irish.  That's probably correct, I've only managed to trace his ancestors back to early 1800s and apart from one branch they were all English.  Of the others his 3 x g.grandfather Charles is the furthest back I've found, he was born in Dublin in 1805, I know his father was also called Charles but I can't find anything else about him, nor can I find out the origins of his 3 x g.grandmother Mary.