Author Topic: Ancestry vs FindMyPast - thoughts please  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Macushla

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry vs FindMyPast - thoughts please
« on: Thursday 29 March 18 06:35 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon everyone, and Happy Easter to all.

I am considering purchasing perhaps a 6-month subscription to one of the above sites.

I am in Australia, researching interests here, and in Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England.

While I realise this is a general question, I'd be happy to hear Rootschatters' thoughts and opnions, please.

With many thanks,
M.

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry vs FindMyPast - thoughts please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 March 18 07:16 BST (UK) »
Depending on where you live, most libraries have both websites available for free... its a good way to check which one is best for your research before you buy.
Stephanie from Australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A*cestry vs F*ndMyPast - thoughts please
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 March 18 07:22 BST (UK) »
Both have free trials too, but remember to cancel at the end of your two week trial or they will take the annual fee from your account.

There are loads of threads on this subject on rootschat if you would like to enter some search terms into the "search" box.

The general consensus is to look at the records they (claim to) hold and see which suits your research areas the best. Read the small print as they can be deceptive and sometimes only have a small portion of records they say they have.

Added: you are able to mention "Ancestry" and "Find My Past" without adding the asterisks.

Added: I did not read it but I think there is a thread about a free trial for Ancestry possibly over Easter?

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 March 18 07:39 BST (UK) »
My advice would be to make a list of the counties/areas of interest that you seek and then visit the two sites and view the catalogues/collections and see which covers those areas the best.

From personal experience Ancestry are good for Lancashire whilst FindMyPast are better in Shropshire.

I'm led to believe that Ancestry has the better coverage of London but it could depend on which areas you need.

Both have some Scottish records BUT transcripts only. ScotlandsPeople is the only place for Scottish Records if you wish to see images.

I have no experience of Irish records so will leave that for others to comment.

A lot of information can be found of free sites like:-

FreeBMD an index to Births, Marriages and Deaths in England & Wales from 1837 to 1983
FreeReg covers Parish Records for Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials but coverage is patchy.
FreeCen covers the Census taken every ten years. dates from 1841 to 1901/11, again coverage is patchy.
The transcriptions are done by volunteers, so all are works in progress.

Ruskie mentions a free trial on Ancestry, It is actually a free weekend's access to COMMONWEALTH RECORDS from Friday 30 March to Monday 2  full list of records is here https://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/group/commonwealth_records?o_xid=86746&o_lid=86746&o_sch=Email+Campaigns

If you have to sign up don't forget to uncheck the renewal box or check the cancellation box, whichever is present, to stop auto-subscription renewal.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 March 18 09:08 BST (UK) »
Get in quick!

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=790668.0

Ancestry has a free weekend over Easter

There are also loads of topics on Rootschat discussing the pros and cons of all sites
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 March 18 09:37 BST (UK) »
I don't think it's as simple as an either/or.

I recommend that you take advantage of the free weekend for Commonwealth records over Easter for records on the UK Ancestry site.  DO NOT SIGN UP FOR A FREE TRIAL at this stage (years down the track I still haven't signed up for a free trail, but I've had subs at various times).

The free weekend will give you a chance to get to know a small part of their record holdings, and you often can build up quite a good tree in the meantime.   That's how I started with Ancestry and I think it was beneficial to  start out with just looking at records and not being able to see others' trees. 

I did have the advantage though of having a few birth and marriage certificates for some of my English ancestors.   

I've found significant whoppee genealogy breakthroughs in the records of both FindMyPast and Ancestry.   

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 March 18 10:06 BST (UK) »
My pension is divided between the two.. well worth it.
FindMyPast gives me answers Ancestry cannot. and vice versa

xin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 March 18 11:21 BST (UK) »

xin

Agree, Xin, (and a lot with SP too)  especially with ancestors like ours  ::)

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 March 18 11:56 BST (UK) »

xin

I have both as well. Ancestry is good for London records - I've probably paid for the subscription by being able to view marriage certificates that I'd otherwise have to have bought. FindMyPast is good as it has the images for the 1939 register which gives actual dates of birth. I also like the fact that the census transcripts on FindMyPast give addresses. 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk