Author Topic: Cape Mounted Police South Africa  (Read 2543 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cape Mounted Police South Africa
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 March 18 13:59 BST (UK) »

do you know whether is it possible to access the SA archive files online

Not records of service as far as I am aware. But that record (dated 1901) is I think the one that has been transcribed on the website that 3sillydogs posted the link to, and the same man that I found in the Boer war medal rolls. Not looking like your man because of the discharge date 30/9/01, the fact that he is recorded as being single, and his age - he would only have been 11 when Ellen was born. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mikesel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 March 18 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun
I thought that might be the case the search goes on!!

Thanks for your help

Mike

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 March 18 18:31 BST (UK) »

I thought that might be the case, but it was worth a look anyway.

It is possible that she would have anglicesed her name, which could have made her maiden name possibly Jordaan

It is possible that Alexander died, but they could have also divorced. Given the time it is possible that "widow" would have been more acceptable.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 March 18 18:47 BST (UK) »
do you know whether is it possible to access the SA archive files online

Not records of service as far as I am aware. But that record (dated 1901) is I think the one that has been transcribed on the website that 3sillydogs posted the link to, and the same man that I found in the Boer war medal rolls. Not looking like your man because of the discharge date 30/9/01, the fact that he is recorded as being single, and his age - he would only have been 11 when Ellen was born.

Hello

With a free sign in - the South African Constabulary (early 1900s) were on the Family Search (FS) a few months ago.

They are on long reel/s of film, which has been converted to b&w digital images and were available to download.

The Attestation Paper and usually one other sheet, gives date of birth and place, etc.

ADDED
Known as Record of Conduct and Service

Find their SAC or FSP etc., Volume number with Service Number here first, once you have found that, you might be able to find the Volume and film on FS ...
http://www.national.archives.gov.za/index.htm

"Search National Automated Archival Information Retrieval System"

GO TO POST #15

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 March 18 19:09 BST (UK) »
Added to previous post.

Plus in index of the catalogues ...

http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300dl

Just checking the list, as to which records I found my relative under. It took me several hours to find a return to get the Service Number and Volume Number.

Trying to work it out again where I found my Volume and Officers Service Number (needed for FS)

GO TO NEXT POST ...

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 March 18 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hello

Off the Menu All Archives Repositories and National Registers of non-public records

I found my relative listed here in the S A Constabulary

http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300gi?20180330201101B98D5969%26DB%3DRSAE

If you find a possible relative/s initial and surname, take a note of all returns that might relate to the person, as you will need the Series (several letters), Volume number and the accompanying number (which hopefully should be the Service Number).

GO TO NEXT POST ...

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 March 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
For South African Constabulary Record of Conduct and Service details ...

Menu
http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300dl

It should be this link (below) off the menu (above) for the bulk of the South African Constabulary
"All Archives Repositories and National Registers of non-public records"

http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300gi?20180330201101B98D5969%26DB%3DRSAE

Type in surname 1st line

Type in 'Conduct' 2nd line
(or try 'Service' instead)

press Search button

-----------

Hopefully you will get the number of document (titles) saved

click "Saved Queries"

-----------

Next page (not featured)

click relevant link

-----------

Hopefully, the results Page  ;D  ;D with the relevant:- Source; Volume Number; Reference; Officer Name details all to be noted down as they are required to find in the Family Search catalogue reels.

If name only, click again for any details.

If the S.A. Source is 'FSP' many of these are online.

-----------

Family Search (South African - Source FSP)
Some reels are converted to digital images online (free sign in required to Family Search).

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjbqcrL4pTaAhWMXMAKHUWHCqIQFggnMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.familysearch.org%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2F543629&usg=AOvVaw0SQ3SBYvKb0esOAtgAC8sC

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/South_Africa_Online_Genealogy_Records

Mark

Offline mikesel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 April 18 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

Once again thank you everyone for your help. I have now found out from other family members that Alexander was believed to have served as a mounted policeman in Queenstown and that he was shot outside his home, subsequently dying of his wounds. His hometown seems correct as his 2 children Ellen Martha, (b.12/05/1890) and Robert John (b.28/11/1891), both show on the UK 1911 Census as having been born in Queenstown, Cape Colony, while Annie is shown on the same document to have been born in Winterberg, Cape Colony in about 1873, - her maiden name would have been Jordan or Jordan and her father, who was a farmer was named as  John Peter.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to confirm exactly when this occurred, but his wife Annie McTAVISH arrived back in the UK in July 1901 and in November 1901 she re married William JOHNSTON at Bristol. William had been serving in the Royal Field Artillery in South Africa from 1899 to October 1901 when he returned to the UK and as Annie had no other known links to the UK it seems that she got to know William either before or after Alexander was killed and travelled to the UK to marry him.

Does anyone have any idea what newspapers covered the Queenstown area around 1900 as I would like to see if there is any record of a policeman being shot and killed in Queenstown around this time?

Thanks

Mike

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 April 18 12:09 BST (UK) »

You could try www.eggsa.org they have a number of newspapers that have transcribed and are searchable. Not sure what periods they would cover but it may be worth a look.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)