Author Topic: DNA Trees on Ancestry  (Read 2324 times)

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Trees on Ancestry
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 April 18 23:05 BST (UK) »
I wish the second one would say something like 'ABC has taken a DNA test but is not on your match list, but at least it's a start.

I wish the second one would either say;
'ABC is not on your DNA match list. This person has not uploaded a DNA file.'
or:
'ABC is not on your DNA match list. This person has uploaded a DNA file.'

I cannot believe that Ancestry would not be able to work that out.

At least that way you can know if they have a test uploaded, and still don't match you. The negative results can be just as important as the positive ones when you're trying to confirm a paper trail with DNA.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 April 18 00:41 BST (UK) »
As a side question , does getting a DNA test automatically subscribe you ( for 1 year) to Ancestry?

I have done my testing through FTDNA but am thinking of getting my mother to test at Ancestry to increase the reach of potential matches. I feel I can still transfer to gedmatch to collate all the data
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 April 18 09:55 BST (UK) »
You cannot upload DNA test results to Ancestry, so your suggestion wouldn't work, IJDisney.

David, Currently ancestry are offering half price annual subscription with DNA tests, not sure how long that will be on offer for.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 April 18 10:34 BST (UK) »
You cannot upload DNA test results to Ancestry, so your suggestion wouldn't work, IJDisney.

David, Currently ancestry are offering half price annual subscription with DNA tests, not sure how long that will be on offer for.

Regards Margaret
Thank you :)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 April 18 18:41 BST (UK) »

Regards Margaret

Don't Ancestry upload their own test results, Margaret?

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 April 18 19:09 BST (UK) »
I thought you were indicating that people uploaded their own DNA to ancestry, IJDisney.  Sorry I misunderstood you!

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 April 18 19:29 BST (UK) »
I thought you were indicating that people uploaded their own DNA to ancestry, IJDisney.  Sorry I misunderstood you!

Regards Margaret

I couldn't think of another term to use, Margaret, so I can see the ambiguity.

What I was trying to express was a desire that Ancestry would state whether someone has or has not had a DNA test done (with Ancestry) on every occasion. That way, if there are multiple people who look like they ought to be related to you due to a specific paper-trail, but they each have had a DNA test done and don't match to you (but maybe do match to each other) you might be able to conclude that your paper trail is suspect (only suspect though - allowing for the vagaries of these DNA tests).

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 07:38 BST (UK) »
My public DNA tree, gedcom downloaded from Ancestry, trimmed as appropriate, then uploaded back again with no official Ancestry records whatsoever, is not just seen by DNA matches, as I thought it was.

It still has sources (because I think a tree without sources is almost useless) but Ancestry has converted them to a brief outline. (If you upload the gedcom straight away without altering it, the records still stay attached)

The tree does not appear in general searches, as previously stated. However, it does appear in ancestry hints for some people in my private tree, but not all.

If a person appears in plenty of trees, my public tree doesn't appear as a hint for my private one.  However, if I look at someone who appears in only 2 or 3 trees, my public tree often appears as a hint.  If the person only appears in both my private and public tree, I will always get a hint of a match.

This sounds quite complicated reading it back, but I can't think of any other way of describing it. Experiment yourselves and see what does and doesn't come up.

Very strange, and only Ancestry could explain it.  But there again, perhaps they couldn't!

Regards Margaret

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 12:59 BST (UK) »
Whatever you put on Ancestry, belongs to Ancestry. Privacy settings are just a way of making you think you are still in possession of what you've contributed.