Author Topic: Would Ancestry restrict my access ?  (Read 644 times)

Offline Heb66

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Would Ancestry restrict my access ?
« on: Sunday 01 April 18 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Up to last week I have been researching in detailed depth births from the Sussex / Kent counties. To make it easier I have been selecting exact matches for month quarter, year and specific registration district I want to search which helps me narrow down the search to make it more manageable. NOW when I apply all exact matches it throws up no matches found and of course if I take off all exact match options it gives me maybe 20.000 hits. Frustrating when I'm researching for twins and need to match up mothers maiden names and the same birth quarters. I've started to re use Free BMD  but worried that my research may miss a birth entry as the site not complete.

Would Ancestry restricted me or am I missing something ? Any advice welcome.

Helen

Payne, Woodchester Glos / Kings Norton Worcs.
Luker, Glos.
Davis, Smith, Evans, Lockstone,Latham, Kings Stanley.
Bingham; Stroud, Glos.
Gore: Glos/ Plymouth.
Rodway: Woodchester, Glos. Wanted Henry Rodway born 1849. Missing since 1881.
Morgan: Nettleton Wilts / Stroud Glos.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Would Ancestry restrict my access ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 April 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
I doubt that they would restrict access.  You haven't said which years you are searching.  Mother's maiden surname is only shown in the indexes from Sep 1911 onwards, before that you need to use the GRO indexes  https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

If you are getting no results then that usually means that there are no results which match your search terms.  Why do you think that this is wrong?

You do of course have to take into account spelling errors in the index transcriptions, of which there are many.

Debra  :)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 April 18 15:11 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has had all manner of problems recently, so I'd say its more likely a problem with their search engine than any deliberate restriction. 

Depending on which period you are researching, the source data on ancestry is from FreeBMD anyway:

England & Wales, Civil Registration Birth Index, 1837-1915: "This database is made available to Ancestry.com users, courtesy of the volunteers of the FreeBMD organization"
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Heb66

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 April 18 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am researching 1944 to end of 1945 and am a full subscribed member of ancestry. It is just puzzling one day I could apply all exact search engines which would narrow my result field considerably and the next it gave me no results at all , I even tried a district that I had already researched with results previously and when I tried again it gave me zero matches. So hence my wondering if they had restricted access for over use !!
Payne, Woodchester Glos / Kings Norton Worcs.
Luker, Glos.
Davis, Smith, Evans, Lockstone,Latham, Kings Stanley.
Bingham; Stroud, Glos.
Gore: Glos/ Plymouth.
Rodway: Woodchester, Glos. Wanted Henry Rodway born 1849. Missing since 1881.
Morgan: Nettleton Wilts / Stroud Glos.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 April 18 16:50 BST (UK) »
You can do quarter, year and registration district on freebmd.

I've just done that for Walker March 1945 Chester and got three results with mother's maiden names.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire