Author Topic: Leadgate, Co Durham  (Read 595 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leadgate, Co Durham
« on: Saturday 07 April 18 23:42 BST (UK) »
Would anyone care to hazard a guess at the age of this postcard.  I am interested in one of the buildings in it but would appreciate help in dating it, perhaps by the clothes of the people in it.  Many thanks

Elliven

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Leadgate, Co Durham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 April 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
Circa 1900-1905...if it has a divided back then it is post 1902 as that was when it was introduced in order for senders to be able to write a message and post it without the need of an envelope.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 April 18 17:21 BST (UK) »
Looking at the shop name this is the family in 1901

John E Kinleside 38
Eleanor J Kinleside 38
Ellen Kinleside 19
Lucy M Kinleside 12
Thomas D Kinleside 10
Leo W Kinleside 8
Edward Kinleside  6
Mary Jane Gilbert  16

and they are in the same place in 1901 and 1911, St Ives Road, Leadgate
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 April 18 19:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your responses and I note that you are both within a 5 year time span.  The Kinleside business was there from at least 1881-1921 and the business I was investigating closed down before 1900 so, it's back to the drawing board!  Thanks again

Elliven