Author Topic: Irish place name  (Read 2190 times)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: Irish place name
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 April 18 21:42 BST (UK) »
If you take the first 3 letters as representative, then there are not that many letters in the first word. The "r" is very clear and precise in both words.
Looking at the way the "r" is written, I don't think that there is an "n" in the word; I think a stroke comes from the "a" and forms what looks to me like a "v" followed by a "c".

Could it maybe be Stravic(nabo)?

https://www.townlands.ie/cavan/loughtee-upper/lavey/waterloo/stravicnabo/

Karen

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 April 18 19:56 BST (UK) »
Ohh I think you may be right! Would there be a way to find out if this place was often shortened to just Stravic, rather than Stravicnabo?
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 April 18 21:05 BST (UK) »
I think it would be very unusual for an Irish person when asked where they were born to give the townland. The nearest town or even the county would be much more usual.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 16:43 BST (UK) »
I think it would be very unusual for an Irish person when asked where they were born to give the townland. The nearest town or even the county would be much more usual.
It would depend on many variables, would it not? Census year for one.
 1851 census likely to have less detail, I should think. Looking at 1851 census, most had Ireland only, some had county, some are hard to decipher.
My 2 Irish families were in England for various census years 1861-1911. POBs of  one family + their Irish visitors in 1861 was a variety: Ireland + county; Ireland + town; Ireland only. A married couple from this family just put Ireland on each census from 1861-1891. The other family put variously: townland (abbreviated), county, Ireland (1881); Ireland (1901); town, county (1911). The person who gave his townland in 1881 was a farm labourer lodger. He was bilingual and could read and write in English, although his spelling wasn't perfect.
Cowban

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 08:30 BST (UK) »
I still wouldn't rule out Stranraer - I found one family in U.S. census that listed place of birth as 'Cardiff, Ireland'  ;D
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 09:17 BST (UK) »
Surname mis-transcribed as 'While' on Ancestry 1851 census info.  Their image is much clearer, better contrast, and their transcription of the place name as 'Stravre' doesn't look unreasonable.

Related topic:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=691161.0
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
The v is the same as the other vs on the page and the ns are different to the letter.  It would really depend on who wrote the place down on the schedule and how clear it was when the enumerator came to transcribe it onto the page.

My vote is for Stranraer  - it's nearly Ireland :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 19:48 BST (UK) »
Even if I were to work out the place name. I doubt with a surname like White i would easily be able to get back any further!
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.