Author Topic: Opinions on cause of death  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Opinions on cause of death
« on: Tuesday 10 April 18 21:42 BST (UK) »
This is from the death cert of an 11 month old baby.

I get the "convulsions", it's the first word that I'm uncertain of. I pondered "dentition" (teething related?) but the first t isn't crossed and it kinda looks like "dualition", which I can't find any reference to.

Any thoughts?  :-\

Ayashi

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on cause of death
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 21:43 BST (UK) »
Is it possibly Dentition - teething  ???

Add - Sorry just seen you've considered that - still think it looks most like it though - t in certified isn't crossed either
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 21:48 BST (UK) »
"Convulsions of Dentition are indicated by such premonitory symptoms as irritable temper, unusual brightness of eyes, indisposition to eat or sleep, slight involuntary movements of muscles of face, or extremities, grinding of teeth. The paroxysm is indicated by rigidity of body, utterance of a cry, face turning red or purple, veins of neck turgid, suspension of respiration, loss of consciousness, irregular and intermittent contractions of muscles, protrusion of tongue, frothing at lips, distortion of face, rolling of eyeballs, contracted and rapid pulse."

From this site  https://www.google.co.nz/search?dcr=0&source=hp&ei=XyLNWviGEIaK8wW0j6HQAQ&q=dentitio

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 21:50 BST (UK) »
I agree it’s dentition.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 21:54 BST (UK) »
The curious thing is that he was buried in a grave with two other babies who also died of convulsions. They were a few months younger than him and their certs give no other information.

Thanks all.

Interesting and painfully sad, Crisane. I'm afraid your link doesn't work- it takes me to Google.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 22:20 BST (UK) »
According to Dr. A. Brothers: 1. Dentition is rarely, if ever, a direct cause of death.

2. Precocious or retarded dentition may occur in otherwise healthy children or in entire families.

3. The period of eruption of the first teeth occurs, in healthy, breast-fed children, at six and a half months in the vast majority of cases, and first dentition is usually complete at thirty months.

4. Dentition is distinctly retarded in the first as well as the later teeth in children brought up on a mixed or artificial diet.

5. Congenital diseases - tuberculosis, syphilis, endocarditis - seem to have a retarding influence on dentition.

6. Rachitis has a very pronounced retarding influence on the whole course of dentition.

7. Scrofulosis seems to hasten the eruption of the first teeth, but does not affect the later teeth.

8. In cases of undeveloped brain - idiocy - there is a marked retardation during the entire period of dentition.

9. Chronic diseases have a retarding power over the first teeth, but do not seem to influence the later teeth.

10. Children suffering from marasmus seem to be precocious with the first teeth, but delayed with the later teeth.

11. Cases of epilepsy, developing in early infancy, seem to have their first teeth appear early.

Very interesting, if only serving to prolong the confusion. Either way, poor little guy.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 22:23 BST (UK) »
Could it just mean that the baby was teething which led to a fever, which in turn led to infantile convulsions which killed him?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 22:26 BST (UK) »