Author Topic: Name Changes???  (Read 668 times)

Offline Lynne Murray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Name Changes???
« on: Wednesday 11 April 18 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, Can anyone please point me in the direction of finding out where I can get information of someone IF they have changed their name. It would have been around 1925-1935 in London.
I am stumped finding this person. 

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: NAME CHANGES ???
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 15:09 BST (UK) »
In the UK you can call yourself what you like without legally changing your name.  The London Gazette may contain details if a name has been changed by Deed Poll.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 15:33 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
There may be no record of a name change. As long as it is not done with a motive of fraud etc.

I had friends, a married couple who got the FH bug back in the 80's. They spent years trying to trace back his line. It was only by a fluke that he found out that his grandfather, don't know how, had changed his name and joined the Army and gone to India for some time.

Reason being his greatgrandfather was an embezzler and it went public and one of his sons was so disgusted, he changed his name and so on.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 16:51 BST (UK) »
Contrary to popular belief, it has always been possible to change your name without having to register the change with any official body. It is still perfectly legal for anyone over the age of 16 to start using a new name at any time, as long as they are not doing so for a fraudulent or illegal reason. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/changes-of-name/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 17:55 BST (UK) »
There may be no record of a name change. As long as it is not done with a motive of fraud etc.

I had friends, a married couple who got the FH bug back in the 80's. They spent years trying to trace back his line. It was only by a fluke that he found out that his grandfather, don't know how, had changed his name and joined the Army and gone to India for some time.

Reason being his greatgrandfather was an embezzler and it went public and one of his sons was so disgusted, he changed his name and so on.
The army doesn't seem to have verified the names of recruits in the early 20th century. The PT instructor at my school in the early 60s had run away from home joined up as a drummer boy under a false name and eventually became an army PTI. After demob he worked under his given name but used his non de guerre when he came to the school.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex