Author Topic: McLean Campbeltown and Ireland  (Read 767 times)

Offline bagpipe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McLean Campbeltown and Ireland
« on: Wednesday 11 April 18 20:34 BST (UK) »
My ancestor is Charles McLean born Ireland about 1825, married Flora Mac conachy of Killean and they lived in Campbeltown where Charles was a fisherman.

His parents were Duncan McLean, a carter, and Betsy (Elizabeth) McLachlan, born c 1785 and 1801 respectively, in Ireland.

From 1841 census, other family members were Catharine, b1829; Margaret 1831, Hugh 1833 ( he married Jean Porter of Campbeltown and was a sailor); Elizabeth 1835, Martha 1838, Christiana 1840 the last two both born in Kintyre.

There don't seem to be any burial records for Duncan or Betsy, and apart from Charles and Hugh I have been unable to trace the other children.

has anyone come across this family? I would so like to know which part of Ireland they came from.
McLean, Ireland and Campbeltown
McConnachy Gigha and Killean

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McLean Campbeltown and Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 23:30 BST (UK) »
bagpipe,  welcome to Rootschat, try a post on     www.kintyreforum.com/       fisher folk  were back & forth across the North Channel so they might even be Campbeltown originally?

Skoosh.

Offline bagpipe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 April 18 08:43 BST (UK) »
Skoosh. thanks for this.
I am trying to fid them through Kintyre forum and have had a couple of dead ends.
Gets very little traffic these days.

I had wondered if they might be from Kintyre originally. Duncan sounds more Scottish than Irish.
Is there a way of checking it out?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 April 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
@ bagpipe,  ScotlandsPeople are the best bet!

Skoosh.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 April 18 11:39 BST (UK) »
In any research I have done in the past for folk from Ireland who ended up in Campbeltown, they often came from places along the Antrim coast, directly opposite the Kintyre peninsula. So Ballycastle, Ballintoy, Cushendun, Cushendall & Glenarm. As Skoosh has said folk there were back and forth to Scotland all the time. It’s only about 12 miles across at the closest point and folk from north east Antrim used to attend fairs in Campbeltown and Inverary etc, sometimes later featuring in the Sheriff court as a result of misbehaviour involving drink. Until the Antrim coast road was built in Victorian times, those coastal communities were very isolated and it was easier to do business in Scotland than it was to get to Belfast or Dublin. So there was a lot of contact with Kintyre.  And of course a lot of the inhabitants of the Glens came from Scotland originally anyway. There was a huge influx in the late 1500s and early 1600s when the MacDonalds of Islay were granted a quarter of county Antrim and settled the north east corner. The McDonnell (as it is spelled in Ireland) family seat today is Glenarm Castle, where the Earl of Antrim resides. The MacDonalds took thousands of tenants from their Scottish estates in Islay, Jura, Kintyre and elsewhere with them. Which is why the Gaelic spoken in the Glens of Antrim is/was noted to be identical to Scottish Gaelic, and not the same as that spoken in say Donegal, which is a different dialect.

But getting back to Duncan born c 1785, the problem you face is that none of the parishes for the places I have mentioned have any baptism records for the late 1700s, so even if you identify where he came from, and you know his denomination, you may struggle to find any record of him.

I agree that the name Duncan sounds more Scottish than Irish but it is found in Ireland, especially along the north coast (for the reasons I have explained). If you search the 1901 Irish census, there were 246 people with the forename Duncan. 76 lived in Co Antrim. Some of those were born in Scotland but excluding them there’s plenty more, many of whom lived in places like Ballintoy, Dunseverick, Cushendall etc, along the north east coast. So your Duncan could well have been born in that area. But I’d say his forebears came from Scotland originally.
Elwyn

Offline bagpipe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 April 18 14:45 BST (UK) »
Elwyn

This is very helpful, thank you.
I hadn't thought about transport links in quite that way before.
Without further information it may be impossible to go further back. To date, I have no information about burials of Duncan and Betsy.

In the 1901 census, Charles is said to speak English and Gaelic, which makes me think that his parents were mostly Gaelic speakers. This would account for the many inconsistencies which I have found in census and other documents.

In the 1840s 'Ireland' seemed to be enough as a statement of origins, but 20 years later, specific place names were more often used.

One thing I have learned is that if you jump to a conclusion it will probably be wrong.

Thank you for your balanced approach.