Author Topic: Margaret Maria LeGeyt, wife of Morton Shaw. Did she die in 1847 in Cheshire?  (Read 2812 times)

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Maria LeGeyt, wife of Morton Shaw. Did she die in 1847 in Cheshire?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
... - Residence Aston by Budworth ...

Except that the parish register on FindMyPast says just Aston, not Aston by Budworth, which is a bit worrying given that there are several places called Aston. Having said that, the likelihood of it not being the woman in the newspaper report is about zero - rather I worry that the CPRDB people have "clarified" that place name with no justification. No issue here but in other circumstances?

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Maria LeGeyt, wife of Morton Shaw. Did she die in 1847 in Cheshire?
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 April 18 23:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your help everybody.
I am satisfied that we've found the answer to my post about Margaret Maria LeGeyt - and found details about the death of her sister Matilda Frances LeGeyt.
Richard
RPJ
Jones Thomas Dickinson Paulsen Olsen Jackson Laidler Ramage Brown

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 April 18 07:10 BST (UK) »
Indeed - but let us know if you solve the mystery of which is her death certificate - those 2 index entries look so similar!

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 April 18 05:22 BST (UK) »
I ordered both pdf files so I should hear in a week or so.
Richard
RPJ

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 03 May 18 14:15 BST (UK) »
Here are the two death certificates for Margaret Maria Shaw, wife of Morton Shaw. Yes. They are both for Margaret.
What do you make of them? One for Aston by Budworth and one for Crowley!
Richard
RPJ

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 03 May 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
Fascinating! And thank you for ordering the pair.

I reckon that part of the confusion has arisen because Aston by Budworth is very close to the edge of the Altrincham Reg District, where it butts onto the Runcorn District. So nobody's been quite sure who should be reporting to who...

Joseph Donald was actually present at the death - he lives at Aston by Budworth, where the death is supposed to be, and he's gone to Samuel Carter, the registrar of deaths(?) for the Lymm sub-district of the Altrincham district. Notice that there's no certification here.

Thomas Gough of Budworth was "in attendance" on her and he's gone to Peter Edgeley, registrar of deaths(?) for the Budworth sub-district of the Runcorn district. This one is certified so I wonder if Thomas Gough knew the doctor? (The village of Great Budworth actually is over the border of the district and so is in Runcorn RD. He's told the registrar that the death was at Crowley, a township in Great Budworth parish in Runcorn RD).

Joseph Donald has gone quite a bit later on 11 January 1847 while Thomas Gough went on 4 January. Given that the death occurred on 27 Dec 1846, I would take a guess that Joseph Donald wasn't doing anything about it until something came up in conversation and someone told him that he should talk to the registrar - or the registrar heard of it and went to him. Never quite sure about how it's likely to happen. Since the 2 registrars are different, neither would realise that the other was also working on the case. We'll never know the exact circumstances but "muddle" seems a good word!

NB - my 1857 Directory has a Thomas Gough in Great Budworth as a boot & shoe maker. And Mr Joseph Donald at Aston by Budworth, a "private resident" at Birchbrook House. Which is kind of the opposite way round to what I guessed!

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 03 May 18 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Adrian.
If you don't mind, I shall add your detailed interpretation of the facts to my Anc***** tree, as I certainly can't summarise it as well as you.
So this is the second time in my research that I've seen two death certificates registered for the same person.
My original post has been answered in detail. Thanks
Richard
RPJ

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 03 May 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
... So this is the second time in my research that I've seen two death certificates registered for the same person. ...

Really? Wow - I'd never seen it before at all. Usually the tricky bit is the opposite - trying to find just one!

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 04 May 18 07:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update