Author Topic: Thomas Penlington - death between 1841 and 1850  (Read 1428 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Penlington - death between 1841 and 1850
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 April 18 12:45 BST (UK) »
The 1841 marriage is 4 August 1841 (some 2 months after the census) between Thomas Penlington, a gamekeeper, and Sarah Beech, both of Stoke Lane, Stoke on Trent. Both of full age.

His father: Joseph Penlington, farmer.
Her father: William Beech, labourer.

What is the firm information you have about “your” Thomas?

Whose was the 1848 will which referred to him as deceased?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Penlington - death between 1841 and 1850
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 April 18 14:58 BST (UK) »
In 1846/47 I have Thomas Penlington as a tenant on the Tithe Survey of that year for a farmhouse in Englesea Brook which is owned by William salmon.
in 1848 William Salmon's will mentions Thomas Penlington as 'the late'.

So firstly, I am trying to locate a death for Thomas Penlington.

Secondly, I have an account of a Thomas Penlington, written in 1856, some time after a visit to the area which implies that this Thomas Penlington is the TP mentioned in the 1841 Census with his wife Sarah- and that they got married later that year as they had been 'living in sin'
As the couple on the Census were both born out of the county I wondered if that is why they married in Stoke-just a thought.
Prior to that Thomas Penlington had been found guilty of poaching in 1839- reports in Staffs Advertiser and Chester Chronicle.
However, after he married, he tried to get back on the straight and narrow and Prim methodism was flourishing in Englesea Brook. William Salmon whose Will made in 1848 in which Thomas is mentioned was a big influence in this growing religion and so it all ties in- but why can i not find a death for Thomas within the time frame?

The question is- were they one and the same person?

Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)