Author Topic: Names of witnesses  (Read 2581 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Names of witnesses
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 April 18 12:12 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's them.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 30 April 18 12:43 BST (UK) »
Sorry pinefamily.

I've been trying to decipher your first witness name with my trusty magnifying glass. But I'm none the wiser.....I thought the name ended.....ward  but now I'm swaying towards mead  ::).
I think the name begins with H . You mention the letter i with dot above - I don't really see that :-\

Looby :)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 30 April 18 13:05 BST (UK) »
You may be right, Looby. Does the name end with "ward", "ard", or "mead"? It's almost certainly H at the start, but what about the third letter with the swirl or loop? Is it a "d"?

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 April 18 13:25 BST (UK) »
That letter does look like a d.

But I'm having trouble finding a name  H*d*ward/mead

Looby

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 April 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
As am I, Looby. The name could also end in "and" the more I look at it. And it wouldn't be the first unusual name in my family tree.  ::)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 00:39 BST (UK) »
I have had another look today at the image. Is it possible the name is something like Anne H Daniel/Daniell?