Author Topic: Names of witnesses  (Read 2582 times)

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Names of witnesses
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 April 18 08:27 BST (UK) »
With the second name, have you tried to work out which Dowdeswell it could be.. say, brother, father
and with the first name, is this person related to the bride? Try married sister? Looks like Hayward or similar.
Stephanie from Australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 April 18 09:47 BST (UK) »
With the second witness, the only family member with two names is the father of the groom. Is it possible the initials are GH?
The first one does look like Anne, with the surname either starting with H or possibly an A? Not sure on Hayward, as there appears to be the dot of an "i" above.
As the second witness is for the groom, I am assuming/hoping the first one is for the bride. I know nothing of her family, except for her first husband's and mother's names.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 April 18 10:41 BST (UK) »
So are you able to find the groom's birth and his father's details?
Stephanie

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 April 18 10:51 BST (UK) »
I have the details of the Dowdeswell's pretty much down pat, apart from filling in a few details along the way. Jonathan Dowdeswell, the groom, was the son of George Henry Dowdeswell. He was baptised in Wimbledon in 1782.
I have been looking at what I already have to try and pinpoint more on the bride, Mary Ann Blake (nee Palmer). That's why I am looking at the witnesses to see if they can point me in the right direction.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 April 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
So looks like George Henry Dowdeswell is confirmed. Have you tried to Google early 1800's writing styles to give you some examples of the types of script used. I found this very helpful when I was trying to decipher 1700's docs.
Stephanie

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 April 18 11:21 BST (UK) »
So you think it might be GH Dowdeswell as the second witness?

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 April 18 11:46 BST (UK) »
What date is the certificate please? And where did the marriage take place ? (Saves searching for clues in wrong location)

Looby :)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 April 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Looby. It's been a while since I've posted a request like this. The marriage took place 19 April 1805 in St Marylebone.
The reason I'm looking back over records is I've just found that Mary Ann Palmer married a John Cartwright Blake in Uplyme, Devon in 1790, and her mother's will of 1818 showed the mother was living in Lyme Regis. The Blake family apparently had property in London, but not sure if the Palmer family was from London or from Devon/Dorset.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 April 18 12:06 BST (UK) »
No problem, pinefamily.

So is this the Dowdeswell couple who are living in Beaminster, Dorset at the time of the 1841 Census?

Looby :)