Author Topic: Home baptism?  (Read 938 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Home baptism?
« on: Thursday 03 May 18 00:01 BST (UK) »
I have found a baptism in St Stephen Coleman St London that has the capital letter H after it. All of the entries either have CH or H. I am assuming it means Church or Home.
My question is, what reasons are there for a home baptism? I understand that it occurred in the cases of sickly babies unlikely to survive, but are there any other reasons? There is no corresponding burial for this child, but it doesn't mean she wasn't sickly of course.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Home baptism?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 May 18 09:45 BST (UK) »
My great aunt was baptised at home because she was a sickly baby, but actually she survived to a good old age. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 May 18 10:26 BST (UK) »
That's my understanding too, Gillg. After further investigation, the burials for the parish concerned (St Stephen Coleman Street) are not available on Ancestry. So I'm back to square one apparently.  :-\

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 May 18 10:32 BST (UK) »
In Scotland in the past it was normal for children to be baptised and marriages to take place at home. My font was the best sugar bowl!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 May 18 13:25 BST (UK) »
It was usual for Catholic babies in England to be baptised at home late 16thC-early 19thC. Until 1790s the only legal Catholic chapels were at foreign embassies and in houses belonging to aristocracy and gentry. A priest baptised a baby at home within a few days of birth. Some baptisms were on the day of birth if baby was born in the morning and the priest got the news early enough to visit the same day.
Cowban

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 May 18 14:55 BST (UK) »
I understand that it occurred in the cases of sickly babies unlikely to survive, but are there any other reasons?

I guess there could be all sorts of possible reasons!
Church building undergoing repair or renovation
Mother of baby unwell and unable to go out
Other rellies who they wanted to attend (maybe godparents) housebound
Vicar just happy to do it at home for those that want it that way
etc etc     

As with so much in Family History, our research can often shed light on WHAT happened to our ancestors, but rarely WHY it happened!!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 May 18 16:25 BST (UK) »
My husband was born at home and his mother nearly died so he was baptised at home.

Further back I know of another baptism done at home because baby's grandmother had just died.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 May 18 23:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your responses.
Lizdb, it's true we can only guess at the "why" of the things we uncover.
I hadn't even considered Catholic, and possibly other denominations, baptisms, Maiden Stone. Although in my case the entry is in the PR, with the letter "H" after it.
GR2, did that give you a sweet tooth?  ;D

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 May 18 01:15 BST (UK) »
I was baptised in my grandparents house when I was 8 weeks old. My parents had taken me on the train from Edinburgh at the ripe old age of 3 weeks to my grandparents home in Dundee.

It had all been arranged for the local church but I had a bit of a cold (well it was December) so the Church Of Scotland minister came to the house.

That was in "modern" times - well 1946  ;D ;D

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife