Author Topic: Certificate  (Read 3931 times)

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Certificate
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 May 18 09:33 BST (UK) »
Was it normal in an RC confirmation for the girls to wear a white dress and have a white veil on their head? I know that was the case at one time for CofE confirmations.

Were the girls in the photo his relatives?

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 07 May 18 09:45 BST (UK) »
If he was baptised at St Brigid’s maybe someone could look the baptism up in the actual register, held i think in the Lancashire records office.
I have often seen extra notes added such as confirmation or marriage dates.

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 07 May 18 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi.
Thank you for your help.
 When you  say check the Lancashire  records.  Would  they hold them at the Manchester  library?  Where you can look  on these film index  or use there computers? 

Also  my dad only had 2 photos taken of him before  he met my mum. 
1 was  In his suit  on his own.  The other one  is where is was with a group of  worker's. When they came out on strike.
As far as I know  that's the only photos of him. My  eldest half sister had them and her daughter  sent them to each of my family  via Facebook.  That was 5 year's ago.  And from what I remember my dad saying  he said he brought a match stick factory out on strike.  At the time I thought  he was joking.  Because  he always  joked about  things.
And from what I've been told by my other half sister. My dad is at the front of the photo where the striker's are. As there's only 2 at the front  I have no idea  which one is my dad.

So a part from those 2 photos  I have no other one's.  And both was sent by my niece.

Anyway thank you again for helping me out with  this. I  really do appreciate everyone's help thank you

Dorothy

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 07 May 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Was it normal in an RC confirmation for the girls to wear a white dress and have a white veil on their head? I know that was the case at one time for CofE confirmations.

Were the girls in the photo his relatives?
It was optional in my day, 50-60 years later than Dorothy's father's childhood; white dress, school uniform or best dress.
Girls in white dresses & veils for First Communion, May Sunday and Whit Walks. Girls in my parish wore white dresses in Whit processions until end of junior school; secondary schoolgirls had choice of white, school uniform or best frock. A girl who was Confirmed before leaving junior school would already possess a white dress & veil. White frocks were passed around families.
Cowban

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 07 May 18 13:17 BST (UK) »
I was confirmed at 11 before I went to senior school.

Not sure anything was different between England/Scotland as it was all the same R.C religion i.e. I would assume the same usual rules & I too was confirmed pre high school.

This should help with look-up dates to narrow yrs down?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 02:22 BST (UK) »
I was confirmed at 11 before I went to senior school.

Not sure anything was different between England/Scotland as it was all the same R.C religion i.e. I would assume the same usual rules & I too was confirmed pre high school.

This should help with look-up dates to narrow yrs down?
Annie

Children in the Scottish R.C.  parish where I live are Confirmed in their last term at primary school.
Scotland has a separate hierarchy from England, they do things differently.
I am from Salford Diocese which is the Catholic diocese for South Lancashire including Manchester. It's in Liverpool Arch-Diocese. I don't know how typical it is. About 20 years ago procedure for First Communion, First Confession and Confirmation changed. Children now get all 3 over the course of about a year when they are around 8 and in a different order to what was customary in my day.

Confirmations of a few Catholic parishes have recently been added to Lancashire Online Parish Clerks website. The 3 I found are contrasting parishes.
1. The Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, Salford. Confirmations took place every year 1856-1874  (and presumably ever since). There were 6696 Confirmations during those years. I matched up only 2 (out of 10) with baptisms. Their DOBs were in baptism register; they were aged 10 years 9 months and 11 years at Confirmation.
Some entries in 1916 baptism register have a note of Confirmation.  The first 3 I saw were summer babies Confirmed in May 1925 aged 8 years and 10 months. 1 child was 6 years and 10 months.
2. St. Marie, Bury. Large town a few miles North of Manchester. Confirmations were at  approximately 5 year intervals 1885-1914, then 1917. The Bishop of Sebastopol presided at the last 2. Total 1379. Matching some less usual names from 1885 to baptisms gave an age range 9-15. Baptisms of children Confirmed in 20thC haven't been transcribed.
3. St. Mary, Chipping. Village church in rural area further north in Lancashire. Pattern 5-6 year intervals, although 1900/01 missing and the one scheduled for late in WW1 was brought forward to 1915.  Number of candidates for Confirmation was roughly equivalent to 4-5 years-worth of baptisms a decade previously. Range of ages was probably similar to Bury.

So, Confirmation was likely to have been between 8 and 15, depending on diocese, parish
and other variables.

Cowban

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 09:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone. Who as been  so helpful.

From what is on a copy of a copy  of my dad's  baptism certificate.  It says.
     Roman catholic  parish
                 Of
 St.Bridgid and St  vincent de Paul.  25 Croydon street. Openshaw, Manchester.

And then half way down the certificate  it says the son of mary ann cooper  was baptised  at this Roman catholic  church of St bridgid. Then gives his date month and year.

So what I was thinking  what if he was  confirmed in the same church.  I'm going by if you live near a church you would use the same one and also  my dad's mum was baptised  in the same church when she was little

It's just a thought. 
Anyway thank you all again for your help and as I have said before which I mean. I really do appreciate it honestly.
Thank you again.

Dorothy

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 19:45 BST (UK) »
St Brigid, Bradford, Manchester opened 1879 as an offshoot of St. Anne, Ancoats.  Parish of St. Brigid grew rapidly and St. Vincent, Openshaw developed into a new parish 1896. St. Vincent closed 2006.
The following church records of St. Brigid are at Manchester Archives:
Baptisms 1879-1941
Marriages 1880-1939
Confirmations 1882-1940

Lancashire Archives has copies of some original baptism and marriage registers.
(Information from GEN UKI website)
As he was born in 1910 you would be looking for a Confirmation probably between 1918 and 1926, depending on the custom of the church at the time.
There are currently no records for St. Brigid on LAN OPC.
Cowban

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 10 May 18 00:05 BST (UK) »
The Liverpool RC Confirmations on Ancestry that I collected just show lists of names, ages, confirmation name and sponsor. I don't think there are any Liverpool RC Confirmation records that might resemble a certificate. I think the vicar/priest would create such a document by request only such as when someone requested a copy of their baptism. I have a "baptism certificate" issued by a church in the Isle of Man in 1937 for someone born before registration began on the island.

Blue