Author Topic: Catholic Baptism and Confirmation  (Read 586 times)

Offline MiriamThomas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catholic Baptism and Confirmation
« on: Friday 04 May 18 20:14 BST (UK) »
Looking for Baptism records of my mother-in-law. She was born 1923 at 10 Duke Street, Glasgow, I would also like her confirmation details, she may have been living at 165 Stockwell Street at the time of her confirmation.

I have looked at Scotlands People and also the Catholic Archives but they don't have the information for these dates, I will need to contact the Church directly.....this is the problem I don't know which Church would have covered the area.

Any help would be great.

Online Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Baptism and Confirmation
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 May 18 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Miriam,

There are a couple of options that would be possibilities - apologies as I don't know where the parish boundaries start and stop but in order of walking distance the closest ones to 10 Duke Street appear to be:

St Mungo's RC Church in Townhead (10 Duke St is a few minutes walk closer to St Mungos that St Alphonsus);
St Alphonsus RC Church, Stevenson St
St Mary's RC Church, Abercromby St
Our Lady of Good Counsel, Craigpark (this is a newer 1960s church, but may have replaced an earlier one)
St Andrew's RC Cathedral in Clyde Street

If she was living in Stockwell Street at the time of her Confirmation, I think the Cathedral would be the closest.

Not sure if that helps, but might narrow your options.

Best wishes

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]