Author Topic: Dubious DNA testing practices.  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Dubious DNA testing practices.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 May 18 21:02 BST (UK) »
Just a little bit of information on the side apropos of nothing in particular -

Some of you, I'm sure get the Lost Cousins email newsletter.

https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/may18news.htm#Civil

In the one dated 4/5/2018 there is a competition for a free DNA test. But this notice appears at the bottom of the paragraph -

(Members who live in France are excluded as DNA testing is illegal there.)

Who knew?

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 May 18 21:25 BST (UK) »
Chas, I get the Lost cousins newsletter, I read that about France, and it failed to register for some reason. I wonder why it's illegal?

They seem to have coped with other technology that we discovered first.

Martin

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 May 18 21:33 BST (UK) »
Chas, I get the Lost cousins newsletter, I read that about France, and it failed to register for some reason. I wonder why it's illegal?

They seem to have coped with other technology that we discovered first.

Martin

I would think, Martin, that only private use would be illegal, but like you I can see no reason why it should be.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 May 18 00:59 BST (UK) »
That is a difficult one. They forbid the use of DNA testing in paternity cases but allow DNA testing for scientific and medical research.
Also;  For the purpose of establishing, when unknown, the identity of deceased persons.

I'm not sure, but I don't think that really is intended for genealogical research, ie; dead people. ::)
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 May 18 01:57 BST (UK) »
I think it says more about the Companies used than the testing.

Only 2 ' established' companies* in Ancestry and MyHeritage were used with the other 3 , companies I admit to not knowing of and seemingly small US state based services. There is a reason I use a US based company rather than one in the state I live in Australia

The journalist makes the same mistakes DNA companies use in grouping everyone in the same boat. There is no differentiation by the journalist between ethnicity tests and genealogical tests. And yes there are huge differences in my opinion.

It is my opinion ethnicity results are a dart board.

*established companies means those companies offering Genealogical Results

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 May 18 01:59 BST (UK) »
At the moment it is like a never ending story. Having been tested once, you really have to be tested again and again as the database expands. Because they are not going to run the test again and write or email and tell you that they have found new connections, are they - not without being paid, again.

Regards

Chas

On the sites I've seen they update your matches as new people enter the database. There is no need to be retested in order to discover these new connections. I have also seen them revise their conclusions regarding the (admittedly extremely dubious) ethnicity analyses due to increased information. So, once again, no need to retest inorder to be kept up to date.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 May 18 11:24 BST (UK) »
Carol, I know not.  The input screen accepted my postcode.  I had confirmation to my UK domain.  Only time will tell.  I never saw a US restriction. 

My email said:

"Hi Martin,

Thank you for applying to participate in DNA Quest. Now that the period of applications has closed, we are sending you this email to update you on the status.

The international community of adoptees has welcomed DNA Quest with open arms and helped spread the word and reach as many people as possible. As a result, we’re very happy that more than 17,000 applications from 77 countries around the world have been submitted. Most applications have been from the USA and Canada, but there are also applications from Australia, Brazil, China, Greece, India, Jamaica, Japan, Morocco, Nepal, and many other countries.

What happens next?

The application period has now ended, and we have begun the selection process. Some of the applicants have already tested their DNA before, and we’ll shortly send them instructions on how to upload their DNA. As a result of this, almost everyone who had never tested before will be accepted and will receive a free DNA kit."

Martin

Ah, they've changed the conditions ::)
On another thread I posted snips from their website and the offer was clearly US-only at that time:  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=789599

That's lucky for you Martin, I really hope you're selected and you find what you're looking for :)

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 06 May 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
Carol, thanks for your nice words.  I am so excited as I couldn't afford one.  My late dad was adopted in 1928, but he didn't find out until he was nearly 60, so there are still mysteries to uncover.

Martin