Author Topic: John McGuire 1861 census of Kincardine, Ont  (Read 759 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McGuire 1861 census of Kincardine, Ont
« on: Monday 07 May 18 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am trying to find out more about John McGuire, was born in Upper Canada (aka Ontario) about 1847 and was in the 1861 census with the Bradley family in 1861 (Film Number C-1011; Page number 47).

The census says he is Protestant (Anglican like the rest of the family) and no occupation is given for him. A member of this forum pointed out that he is listed amongst the family members, which piqued my interest.

Basically, Jane, the wife of Nathaniel Bradley in this census, was Nathaniel's second wife and is my ancestor. She married Nat about 1853 in Canada and had two children: Mary Jane (1854) and Elizabeth (1858). She was around 38 when she got married, so I am pretty sure she may have been married previously. I have never found a marriage for Nathaniel/Jane or baptisms for their girls.

I am trying to find out more about Jane and am wondering if John McGuire could be her son or other relative, but he seems to disappear after 1861 and I couldn't find him in 1851, either! (Nathaniel Bradley is living in Kincardine in 1851, but he is not yet married to Jane, who also doesn't seem exist prior to 1861). Jane was born in Ireland about 1815.

Jane's daughters' husbands didn't know their mother-in-law's maiden name when their wives Elizabeth and Mary Jane died, adding to the mystery.

Any help tracking down John McGuire would be so appreciated!

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John McGuire 1861 census of Kincardine, Ont
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 12:53 BST (UK) »
There is a John McGuire marriage in Huron County 8 Dec 1870.   They were in Wroxeter, Ontario at time of marriage. That is about 70 KM from Kincardine.  Nothing to positively link this to your person.

Name:
John McGuire

Birth Year:
abt 1843

Birth Place:
Ontario

Marriage Date:
8 Dec 1870

Marriage Place:
Huron, Ontario, Canada

Father:
 Benjamin McGuire   

Mother:
 Elizabeth McGuire   

Spouse:
 Matilda Paisley 

So far unable to find a birth or another census or a death that is close.

Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 14:35 BST (UK) »
Looking at that census record, it would seem that both Nathaniel and Jane were likely married before.  The eldest two children are likely Nathaniel's from his first marriage, John McGuire likely belongs to Jane, and the youngest children are likely children of the current marriage.

Not all of the 1851/52 census have survived, so it is possible that they were living in a census district where the records are no longer available.

Suggest you check for John in Michigan where many settled after leaving Ontario.  There is a possible John McGuyre(sic), aged 24, born Canada, single, living in Oscoda, Michigan.

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 14:40 BST (UK) »
Looking at that census record, it would seem that both Nathaniel and Jane were likely married before.  The eldest two children are likely Nathaniel's from his first marriage, John McGuire likely belongs to Jane, and the youngest children are likely children of the current marriage.

Not all of the 1851/52 census have survived, so it is possible that they were living in a census district where the records are no longer available.

Suggest you check for John in Michigan where many settled after leaving Ontario.  There is a possible John McGuyre(sic), aged 24, born Canada, single, living in Oscoda, Michigan.

Hi Eileen,

I actually know for sure Nathaniel married Elizabeth Perrin in 1834 in Bunclody, Co Wexford, had 5 children with her in Queens Co, Ireland, and then emigrated to New York in 1850. He stayed in NY for one year, during which time it seems his wife died, and then is in the Kincardine census by 1851. So you're spot on that he was also married before.

I will check out the John McGuyre in Oscoda. Some of Nathaniel's children by his first wife did end up in Northern Michigan, although Jane's daughters stayed in Bruce County.

I also just found this index birth: MCGUIRE JOHN    .. JOHN - ELLEN .. 1848* from the Ontario Genealogy website, but it doesn't say where the birth took place and is just an index entry. May also not be my John because implies Jane wasn't his mother (which of course she may not have been).

The hunt continues...

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 15:03 BST (UK) »
The 1851 and 1861 census shows that Nathaniel didn't really move -- he has some of the same neighbours, so Jane must have been from around the area -- certainly, she didn't come from afar to marry him. 

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 15:10 BST (UK) »
The 1851 and 1861 census shows that Nathaniel didn't really move -- he has some of the same neighbours, so Jane must have been from around the area -- certainly, she didn't come from afar to marry him.

That's what I've been thinking, and I even went so far as to search through every "Jane" born in Ireland about 1815 to try to find potential fits with my ancestor. I am still sorting through, but there was not a single Jane McGuire/Maguire that fits mine in 1851. I am wondering if maybe the census record for her is just plain missing.

Jane and Nathaniel's daughter Mary Jane married Richard Tackaberry and he was originally from Listowel area in Perth and a lot of his neighbours were from the same area of Ireland as the Bradleys. Nathaniel Bradley baptised his (first set of) children in the same Irish town where his son-in-law's parents, Nathaniel and Margaret Fennell Tacakberry, got married. I know the 1851 census for Elma, where the Tackaberrys were from, is missing.

This mystery is driving me nuts! I find it so bizarre that Jane's family didn't know her maiden name, but maybe it was because she was married previously and they only knew her first married name, not her birth name?

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 15:22 BST (UK) »
Have you done DNA testing?  You might find matches that would help with the mystery.