Author Topic: Marjorie Scarfe (1915-2000) - some colour for this baby please  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marjorie Scarfe (1915-2000) - some colour for this baby please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 19:48 BST (UK) »
I have tried to find out the significance of a baby wearing a ring and they were given in America during the Civil War so that baby could have a photograph taken wearing it, if she died.
In this country mainly in Victorian times it seems to have been a tradition to give a little baby a ring, in some families, but not in all families. The baby rarely wore the ring in case she swallowed it, it was more a keepsake. Perhaps Marjorie is just wearing it for the photograph.
Here is my version of beautiful Marjorie.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 20:26 BST (UK) »
I have tried to find out the significance of a baby wearing a ring and they were given in America during the Civil War so that baby could have a photograph taken wearing it, if she died.
In this country mainly in Victorian times it seems to have been a tradition to give a little baby a ring, in some families, but not in all families. The baby rarely wore the ring in case she swallowed it, it was more a keepsake. Perhaps Marjorie is just wearing it for the photograph.
Here is my version of beautiful Marjorie.
Pat

A lovely colour version Pat that I can share with her grandson - he will be thrilled so very many thanks from me & him. Marjorie was born in America - she has got a certain amount of 'bling' going on  :)
Keith

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 May 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith..I started this before I went away and have just finished it.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 May 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
This one has a slightly warmer tone and a little texture.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 May 18 16:50 BST (UK) »
Welcome back Carol - both these versions are beautiful - lots of lovely detail & the little pink touches look great against the white/cream lace.
Thank you so much
Keith

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 May 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Keith...you are welcome...I was of the opinion that she is holding a teething ring on a ribbon and has the ribbon wrapped around her wrist and her finger. I suppose we will never know.
Carol

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 May 18 17:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Keith...you are welcome...I was of the opinion that she is holding a teething ring on a ribbon and has the ribbon wrapped around her wrist and her finger. I suppose we will never know.
Carol

Yes I see now - that makes more sense than a finger ring  ;)
Keith