Author Topic: Dead on Census? 2 Months Death to Burial? 1851  (Read 2244 times)

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: Dead on Census? 2 Months Death to Burial? 1851
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
The certificate image has a number of issues - in that there are three corrections (numbered 2, 3 and 28). The annotation in the margin  has them correctly written out and initialled, but the corrected information doesn't appear to be shown.

Correction 2 definitely relates to the date of death but hasn't been overwritten with the correct details.

I wonder whether there was another marginal note on the right hand side (which hasn't been scanned)  alternatively the corrected information wasn't included when the quarterly return was copied and sent to GRO.

You say that the local office couldn't help - but did they actually check the original register entry ?Ordering a certificate from them might get a copy which shows the corrections properly.

Having a correction numbered 28 on the entry is also odd  - numbered corrections should only really be used during registration and before the entry is signed by the registrar so should all be consecutive  - that suggests that a correction was made later, although both 3 and 28 both seem to relate to the father's occupation.

Offline caroline_forster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 May 18 09:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Antony, I will contact the local office again and see if I can speak to somebody about this entry.

Offline caroline_forster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 25 May 18 09:54 BST (UK) »
Just an update on my date of death confusion. It seems I have hit the end of the road on this one (for now at least). I have been unsuccessful in getting any more info from the local register office. I contacted GRO again but they informed me that "In this instance we would not require an occasional copy from the local Register Office as the entry they hold will be the same as the one held here at The General Register Office".

So while I have reasons to doubt the date of death (it being 2 weeks before Hannah was listed on the Census and 2 months before registration & burial) I will have to set it aside for now.

Many thanks to all who gave their time and advice,

Best Wishes

Caroline