Author Topic: Iris May Watton 1899-1972  (Read 3201 times)

Offline dorset_nomad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Iris May Watton 1899-1972
« on: Thursday 10 May 18 05:37 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information on Iris. It appears she left UK about 1922 for Melbourne in Australia. She went back an forth a few times and died in Melbourne (I think). She married a Thomas Diamond and later became Mrs Easton. Does she have family, if so Oz or UK?  My maternal side is Watton.
Derek

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Iris May Watton 1899-1972
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 May 18 06:48 BST (UK) »
The first time she left England as Iris Watton the address given was 1 Beswick Road, Ensbury Park, Bournemouth.

She returned as Iris Diamond going to 1 Beswick Road Bournemouth.

New GRO index
Iris Watton registered June quarter 1899 mothers maiden name Windebank.

1891 census Highfield
Samuel Mac/Mae Watton 36 born Winton
Mary Elizabeth 28  born Benstead
Rudolph 1
Ada J 8
Blanche 7
Gertrude 5
Jessie 3

1901 Census
Samuel Mac/Mae Watton 47
Mary Elizabeth 38
Gertrude 15
Jessie 12
Daisy 10
Frank5
*IRIS 2
Ivy 2
Ada 18
Blanche 16
Rudolph 11  when he marries he is Rudolph Andrew
Wilfred 7

Samuel Mac Watton married Mary Elizabeth Windebank 1881 registered Christchurch.

In 1911 they are at Beswick Road, which ties in with the address given on her trips.

Corrected Street name my typo

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 May 18 06:55 BST (UK) »
Death in Melbourne:

12250 1972 EASTON Iris May Father's name WATTON Mac Mother's name Elizabeth (Winterbank) Place of birth Hampshire England Place of death Cheltenham aged 73

Death notice: EASTON Iris May Death notice 6-6-1972 Death at RSL Village, Cheltenham The Age (Melbourne) 7-6-1972

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline dorset_nomad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 May 18 07:07 BST (UK) »
Wow! Thanks for this. In fact it has answered a couple of unasked questions. Jessie would be my G'mother and I could not figure where the Wilfred came from. I always knew him as Uncle Ruddy. I am in NZ now and wondered if any Watton rellies still live in Melbourne.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 May 18 07:08 BST (UK) »
Death and funeral notices mention husband, David, children, to both husbands, and grandchildren's names.

Scroll to page 27, or type 14 into the small white box.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m1f/

She was cremated and the ashes collected. I was hoping they were interred in the hope of finding hubby.

Jamjar

Added: VIC marriage - 3210 1920 Iris May WATTON to Thomas DIAMOND
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 May 18 07:53 BST (UK) »
There is an I M Diamond with master T M Diamond entering Melbourne on the ORMUZ, 24 August 1922, and going to Campbell St, East Kew.

I wonder if son's name was Thomas Mac Diamond, as he is named as Mac in his mother's death notice and if I am reading correctly her father's middle name was Mac.

Jamjar

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 May 18 08:16 BST (UK) »
I wonder?

DIAMOND Thomas Mac Death notice 9-1-2005 Death 83 at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Adelaide Advertiser 15-1-2005

Amondg, when she arrived UK as Diamond, was husband Thomas or child with her?

Jamjar

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 May 18 08:27 BST (UK) »
This may confirm Thomas Mac as the son, as his wife was Laurel (deceased) at time of his mother's death:

1971 127A/3835 DIAMOND Laurel Margaret Thomas Mac DIAMOND [H] Adelaide

Jamjar

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 May 18 09:08 BST (UK) »
Thomas Mac' military file is open:

DIAMOND THOMAS MAC : Service Number - 18962 : Date of birth - 31 May 1921 : Place of birth - MELBOURNE VIC : Place of enlistment - MELBOURNE : Next of Kin - DIAMOND LAUREL

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=4239709

Jamjar

Added: When he enlisted he gave his father Thomas as next of kin, who I think was on active service in New Guinea, if I'm reading correctly, page 33.

Now if father was still alive in '43, and Iris had a daughter to Easton then either she was separated/divorced from Thomas, or she had her daughter after her mid 40s.

On 20-7-40 both father and mother, as Diamond, gave constent for enlistment.