Author Topic: Wallace family Alnwick  (Read 2149 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Wallace family Alnwick
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 May 18 16:51 BST (UK) »
I can't see a Charles Wallace of the right age on census who was born in Northumberland  :-\

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jedwall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 May 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks. That is also where I have been stuck for some time. I wonder if his birth name was William and he assumed 'Charles' to differentiate if there was more than one William Wallace?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 May 18 17:46 BST (UK) »
The 1939 register would give details of anyone with the surname Wallace who was in Alnwick at that time apart from those who could still be alive or were in the forces at the time.

We are not allowed to do look ups from that source for copyright reasons

Offline Jedwall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 May 18 17:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I will look at the 1939 register and hopefully that will give a result.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 May 18 00:45 BST (UK) »
Jedwall sent this to me via PM, but I think it may be useful for those assisting with the search:

"Not definite that he was born in or around Alnwick but highly likely. He described the place to his son John. It's possible that he may go by the name William in England? He was married before but whether in England or South Africa, I don't know. The military or mining link may be key to finding his date of birth 1860 or 1861. He remains in Cape Town for many years, where he dies in 1940. If you have any suggestions as to how to link him to his family in Alnwick, I'd be most grateful. John apparently put his death notice in the paper in the UK and did get a reply from the family. That letter has been lost."

Jedwall, unless there is something that can't be made public, eg names of those still living, it is best to post relevant information on the board, rather than sending PMs to individual members.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jedwall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 May 18 07:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Jamjar. I'm continuing with researching the 1939 register. The puzzle of CWW is most difficult to complete. If the name is different or incorrect - is that common in that time? Is there any way of solving that problem? Any advice is most appreciated.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 May 18 07:46 BST (UK) »
Clutching at straws but do you think this could be a child born to your Charles William in 1889 South Africa - Sorry I have no idea where places are located there  :(

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GTWM-7PJ?i=167&cc=1468076
Birth 31 August 1889
Father Charles William Wallace occ Overseer
Mother Mary Ann
Abode Beaconsfield
Sponsors - John Charles Coxon, Sarah Emily Coxon & James Belshaw

Once again I have no idea of location but there is this death in 1901 for a Mary Ann Wallace (nee Belshaw) bn c1853
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939Z-5M7J-P?i=214&cc=1779109

I am probably completely wrong but thought it worth posting  :)

Offline Jedwall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 May 18 08:52 BST (UK) »
I think that you have found his first wife, Mary Anne Belshaw. There seems to be a few links adding up: South Africa, Church of t...rish Registers, 1801-2004  South Africa Cape of Good Hope Cape Town, Somerset West ... Stellenbosch, All Saints Baptisms 1861-1921 -
Baptism of Charles William Wallace 1914 parents William Henry Wallace & Maria Catherina.
Witness James Edward Wallace is possibly William Henry's brother of this marriage.

South Africa, Church of t...rish Registers, 1801-2004  South Africa Cape of Good Hope Cape Town, Somerset West ... Stellenbosch, All Saints Baptisms 1861-1921
Lily Wallace -daughter of Charles William Wallace and Hester Helena - is a witness to the baptism of Winifred daughter of William Henry Wallace (her half brother) & Maria Catherina
As Charles William Wallace Snr is in Kimberley in 1889 for the baptism it ties in with the Boer War and possibility of mining - diamonds in Kimberley discovered in the 1880's
Thanks so much!! Nothing coming up in the link to Alnwick yet.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 May 18 09:45 BST (UK) »
Nothing coming up in the link to Alnwick yet.

I was hoping that maybe his first marriage would help take us back to England.  :)

We now know that his son James Edwin was born c1889 so Charles William Wallace married Mary Ann Belshaw before that time.

Unfortunately UK passenger lists are only available after 1890.