Author Topic: R Martyr Armour True.(yes a name!,my 6th great grandmother).  (Read 2514 times)

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
R Martyr Armour True.(yes a name!,my 6th great grandmother).
« on: Friday 11 May 18 15:25 BST (UK) »
White Notley registers,very clearly written,Baptism Feb 18 1711-R Martyr Armour True daughter of R Martyr Armour True Beerman.The mother married an Edward Beerman but I cannot find the record.
Their 1st child b 1708 Edward is in White Notley registers-son of Edward Bearman and True his wife.
2nd Child b 1709,Elizabeth,again White Notley-of Edward Beerman and R Martyr Armour True his wife.
3rd Child b 1711 similarly described.
4th Child b 1713,Susannah,in Writtle-of Edward and True Beerman.
5th Child b 1715,William,in Writtle-of Edward and Armour Honour? Beerman.
6 Further children baptised in Writtle-described as of Edward and True Bearman.
The mother was buried in Writtle-the record being Aremart True Beerman.
The daughter baptised in 1711 married Joseph Green in Writtle in 1730 the register-Joseph Green and True Beerman.
I do wonder if the name really  was "Amata (latin for beloved,loved one,seems to have been used as a name) Honour True?
Seems to have puzzled the Clergymen.
True was presumably the surname although usually they  both seemed to have used True as a forename--True Green,True Bearman.
Would greatly appreciate any thoughts on this,also the marriage of Edward and True presumably around 1707.
I had hoped to find Joseph Green's baptism,maybe around 1705 in either the Writtle or West Hanningfield registers,but no success.
Have also ,not surprisingly,drawn a blank with the earlier Trues.

Green family ,West Hanningfield and Writtle,Essex, 1700-1900,plus other Essex areas and later dates.Collins,Dobbs,Terry,Betts,Hucknall etc,Nottinghamshire.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: R Martyr Armour True.(yes a name!,my 6th great grandmother).
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 May 18 16:43 BST (UK) »
Reading through, it looks to me as if True is used as a Christian name, not a surname.

The surname surely is Beerman.   
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 May 18 19:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks lizdb.
You are right of course.
So what was her maiden name before she married Edward Bearman.Cannot find any marriage of an Edward Beerman around that time.
Thanks again.
Green family ,West Hanningfield and Writtle,Essex, 1700-1900,plus other Essex areas and later dates.Collins,Dobbs,Terry,Betts,Hucknall etc,Nottinghamshire.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 May 18 20:18 BST (UK) »
How old was Aremart True Beerman when she was buried in 1740?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 May 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
On the burial record there is no age given.
If Edward was the first child, baptised 1708,married perhaps a year before,maybe born about 1685.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 May 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
Could Martyr be  Martha or Marta and whoever wrote it down had no idea of how to spell it?

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 May 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Emeltom,
Did wonder if it could be those names,but different clergy different places didn't record them.Just written down from the way it was heard I suppose,including Aremart when buried.
As  mentioned in first post,William's baptism in 1715 the record seems to read "Honour" (Armour?),would be interested to hear from anyone with access to Writtle registers.
Colin

Offline JeanetteM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 07:16 BST (UK) »
Ihave been fascinated by this person's name for a long time now. I think the name comes from Armaita goddess of Truth later incorporated into the church as Armaita angel of truth.I have Bover and Bearman in Writtle and Woodham Ferrers. My paper trail in the area goes back to Edward Bover and Catherine Bearman as parents of John Bover baptised in Woodham Ferrers in 1830. I have just found DNA connections with descendants of Charles Bover and Elizabeth Groves married in Writtle in 1805. This connects my Bovers to True Bover and the two sets of Edward Bover and Hannah Green in Writtle and thus back to all the variations of the name Armaita.I can't get onto the pc at the moment with all the name variations.....

Offline JeanetteM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 June 18 07:02 BST (UK) »
Edward BEARMAN (1684-1737)
1. Edward BEARMAN,1 son of Thomas BEARMAN (c. 1660- ), was born in 1684 in Bocking, Essex, England.2 He was baptised on 29 April 1696 in Bocking.2 He married R Martye.1 He died in April 1737 in Writtle, Essex, England.3 He was buried on 7 April 1737 in All Saints, Writtle, Essex, England.3

R Martye1 (also known as R Martye BEARMAN and R Martye, Martye, True, Armathermortru, Aremart True) died in July 1740 in Writtle.3 She was buried on 22 July 1740 in All Saints.3  She and Edward BEARMAN had the following children:

+2   True BEARMAN (1710-1789)
+3   Edward BEARMAN (1707- )
+4   Elizabeth BEARMAN (1708- )
+5   Susannah BEARMAN (1713- )
+6   William BEARMAN (1714- )
+7   Sarah BEARMAN (1716- )
 Second Generation
2. True BEARMAN4 (also known as True GREEN and Arma True, Aremata, Armathermortru, R Martye, Martye BEARMAN), daughter of Edward BEARMAN and R Martye, was born in February 1710 in White Notley, Essex, England.1 She was baptised on 18 February 1710 in White Notley.1 She married Joseph GREEN on 24 October 1730 in Writtle, Essex, England.4,5 She died in February 1789 in Writtle.6 She was buried on 22 February 1789 in Writtle.6

Joseph GREEN4 was born circa 1705.  He and True BEARMAN had the following children:

+8   Hannah GREEN (1737-1779)
+9   Joseph GREEN (1730- )
+10   Armata True GREEN (1733- )
+11   John GREEN (1734- )
+12   Edward GREEN (1738- )
+13   Edward GREEN (1741- )
+14   Charles GREEN (1743- )
+15   Peter GREEN (1745- )
+16   James GREEN (1747- )
+17   Tobias GREEN (1750- )
+18   Mary GREEN (1752- )

3. Edward BEARMAN,7 son of Edward BEARMAN and R Martye, was born in March 1707 in White Notley.7 He was baptised on 2 March 1707 in White Notley.7

4. Elizabeth BEARMAN,7 daughter of Edward BEARMAN and R Martye, was born in February 1708 in White Notley.7 She was baptised on 27 February 1708 in White Notley.8

5. Susannah BEARMAN,7 daughter of Edward BEARMAN and R Martye, was born in May 1713 in Writtle.7 She was baptised on 10 May 1713 in Writtle.7

6. William BEARMAN,1 son of Edward BEARMAN and R Martye, was born in March 1714 in Writtle.1

7. Sarah BEARMAN,1 daughter of Edward BEARMAN and R Martye, was born in March 1716 in Writtle.1 She was baptised on 24 March 1716 in Writtle.1