Author Topic: Ancestry Public Trees  (Read 2481 times)

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Public Trees
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 13 September 18 19:23 BST (UK) »
LDS have collected date for years, they never have checked if it is correct or not and anyone who posts information online they are giving up their 'ownership', it belongs to the website and can be taken and used as their own 'belongings'....... so ancestry or familysearch, FB to any other website if you post it you are giving it away.

Online data is just ONE TOOL and only ever a clue about where to look for the real records, so unless that data is an image of a real record then it is just a clue only and nothing more.

I personally have an issue with online trees. I do not see why people have to advertise a 'their' tree especially as many are complete fiction ( which just muddy's the water for real researching)and/or the person collecting and advertising has no clue about privacy of living people, many have no basic maths and are name collectors...so they don't seem to work out that someone born/bap in 1695 is not going to be married and producing children by 1701, no research and no idea about the upset many of these online name collections can cause to the real  relations of the people they add.

I was looking last night at some name collector trees, they have some of my ancestors, born in Norfolk England and marrying, having children and dying in Norfolk USA and on down to them as their 'descendants' just plain and simple name collectors these just 'fits their purpose'

I put my tree online so that any relatives who may be researching their Ancestry can find it and see how I am related to them. Many people have contacted me thanks to this, I've even got some photos out of it.

Hopefully my tree is better researched than most.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire