Author Topic: 'The missing' Stephen Feening  (Read 8800 times)

Offline starcat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'The missing' Stephen Feening
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 May 18 10:20 BST (UK) »
Selina,  Why would your Stephen Marry then leave his bride never to return, it makes no sense, maybe after time he might have decided  he had made a mistake & leave, but on his wedding day, why get married at all. Is there any evidence something bad happened to him on the way to or in Sydney.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 25 May 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the family did have any contact with him later when they said he was "in America", or if that was the story that was told among the family - perhaps he'd previously expressed a desire to travel there and they presumed that's most likely where he was, or that was an easier explanation for his disappearance than "he got married and then ran off and we don't know where he is".

The wording is very generic, and there is absolutely no sign of him on US censuses.

Have you seen the will of John Feening?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 25 May 18 22:51 BST (UK) »
There is a will and probate packet for John FEENING at NSW state archives which Selina asked me to photograph for her .   I am hoping to get there on Thursday.

Probate ad http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article104681977

I reported the problem with the indexing of divorce to the Archives (and they have replied acknowledging error and saying they will fix this).

Ros

Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Weyman_85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 01 June 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
Selina,  Why would your Stephen Marry then leave his bride never to return, it makes no sense, maybe after time he might have decided  he had made a mistake & leave, but on his wedding day, why get married at all. Is there any evidence something bad happened to him on the way to or in Sydney.

Hi! I'm sorry, I completely missed this message. My family thought the same! It's so odd to leave on your wedding night. I agree, fleeing before or some time after would have made more sense but to actually marry, place your new bride in a coach and the disappear? We thought something may have happened to him until recently when we came across Stephen's parent's obituaries. In his mother's obituary it mentions being survived by numerous children. Next to each child's name is a place. Listed was Stephen, America. As far as we can tell there was only one son called Stephen (it would be odd to call two the same name). His father's obituary, although doesn't give a name, mentions a son in America. It's the best we've come up with so far...?

Selina

Offline Weyman_85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 01 June 18 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Ros was so kind to photograph John Feening's will and send it to me. Unfortunately there is no juicy info there to help us unravel this mystery. He basically left everything to his dear daughter May Martha and she's the only child he mentions throughout the will. Not sure where to go from here.

I've no idea if he did go to America or like suggested it was a cover up by the family. There were warrants out for his arrest so if he did travel to America I doubt he would of used his real name which makes it near impossible to trace further.

Thanks again Ros. I really appreciate your help and everyone else! There has been some great suggestions!

Selina

Offline Weyman_85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 01 June 18 13:31 BST (UK) »

The wording is very generic, and there is absolutely no sign of him on US censuses.

Hi :) Can I ask where you searched US censuses? I doubt he would of used his real name but he may have used his mum's maiden name or even Selina's last name?? (If he went to America at all)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 01 June 18 19:45 BST (UK) »
I looked for Stephens born Australia of about the right time on Familysearch.org  Certainly none with any of the known family surnames appear.

A Stephen Rowe born Australia last resident Perth arrived in Honolulu in 1909 and was in the 1910 census but his arrival record shows relatives in Australia and in the US which don't look to match up with your family.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MLCT-DGX

Unfortunately a lot of people born in the Austro-Hungarian empire seem to be recorded as "Aus" which doesn't help the search.

By the time brother Alfred passed in 1949, Stephen is not along the list of siblings in his death notice:
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/18116313?searchTerm="Alfred%20Feening"
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Weyman_85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 02 June 18 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,

Thank you for doing that search for me. This may have to remain an unsolved mystery by the looks of it. I actually found a man and his grandfather was Stephen's brother's son. He, himself however could not remember any talk of a Stephen, which given the time, is understandable. Thanks also for that link to his brother's obituary. I'm guessing if he was still alive then he'd be in in 70's.

Sel

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 02 June 18 01:57 BST (UK) »
I am going to make a speculative suggestion here as to Stephen's motivation.

Selina was expecting, or thought she was expecting a baby .
There is not a birth record that I can locate, but as we sadly know, not all pregnancies reach full term.
Or
The couple already had an exnuptial child.

Stephen was not prepared to take on married life, but elected matrimony to make and honest women of Selina. There may have been family pressure from either side.
As soon as the paperwork was completed, he disappeared.

A transcription of the marriage certificate may reveal something, such as a shared residential address.

One of the many reliable agents for transcription.
http://www.joymurrin.com.au/shop/nsw-transcription/ 

What you can see on a marriage certificate NSW.
MARRIAGE

Date
Couple's names
Couple's ages
Couple's birthplaces
Previous status
Couple's occupations
Couple's residences
Fathers' names
Fathers' occupations
Groom's mothers name
Bride's mothers name