Author Topic: Depths of burials in a shared plot - how far apart?  (Read 700 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Depths of burials in a shared plot - how far apart?
« on: Tuesday 15 May 18 22:35 BST (UK) »
I'm going through the records of a Scottish graveyard in the early 1800s and hoping that I might find some clues about some of my ancestors.  I'm also checking monumental inscriptions that are available.  My family didn't have any headstones but the other people with the same surname who did have headstones have helped to rule out certain burials. 

Two young sisters of my ancestor were buried there in the 1820s - one at the head and the other at the foot, at 7 feet in the north plot which belongs to a man with the same surname as their mother.
 I think the plot was purchased by their uncle.

A few months before the first sister died the mother of a man with the same name as their uncle, was buried in this man's south grave at 7 feet.  Five years later the father of a man with the same name as their uncle was buried 6 foot deep in the south grave of his son's property.

From the vertical distance between these burials (6ft and 7ft) I'm not sure this is the same plot and family.  If anyone has knowledge of the practical aspects of interment I'd appreciate their opinion.

Offline angusg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Depths of burials in a shared plot - how far apart?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 06:54 BST (UK) »
these distances seem quite normal.
Watt, Beattie,Glass,McDougal, Guthrie,Blackie,Pringle,Balmer,Headridge,Hunter,France,Greenhill
Gordon,Lawson,Anderson,Reid,Stott,Milne,Jackson,Walker McArthur,Hardie.Dunnet,Dundas
Thorburn, Mosley, Stewart, Wood, Gladstone, Darrie,Melrose
Duff,and in the States/Canada: Kidder,Duff, Blake,Robertson,Kerr.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 07:33 BST (UK) »
I would suggest that grave depths were not precisely measured but estimated more often than not. Six feet would be the height of the grave digger plus a spades depth or perhaps a couple of spades depths further.
When adding a further burial to an existing grave they would dig until the first coffin/previous was found (this would be left with a covering of soil and the subsequent coffin laid on the top rather than measurements being taken.
The only important measurement was the depth of coverage of the burial closest to the ground level to ensure a minimum coverage.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 May 18 00:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information.  It's very helpful.