Author Topic: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]  (Read 74612 times)

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 23:44 BST (UK) »
Sure thing. I found it in the Sunderland Daily Echo for the 15th September 1911. It's on page 6, the bottom third of the first column.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline battista

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 23:45 BST (UK) »
Sure thing. I found it in the Sunderland Daily Echo for the 15th September 1911. It's on page 6, the bottom third of the first column.

Thanks!  ;D
Battista
Lawson

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 24 May 18 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Battista,

Just to confirm again that first wife Elizabeth is buried at Preston Cemetery North Shields and second wife Anastasia is buried at All Saints Cemetery, Newcastle upon Tyne.  Henry and Vincenzo are buried at Elswick Cemetery, Newcastle upon Tyne.

I think one way forward would be for you to email North Tyneside bereavement services regarding Elizabeth and Newcastle bereavement services regarding Anastasia and find out if graves are purchased and may have grave stones.  Sometimes, in my experience a loved one/family members death is inscribed 'In Memory of ..' on a grave even if they are not actually buried in the grave themselves.

Giovanni may be referred to in a grave stone possibly?   Let us know if there are grave stones.  I or someone else may be able to check cemeteries for you.   if you can confirm is there are grave stones.  I only live about 2 miles from Preston Cemetery and if there is a stone I will try to visit and find this to ascertain if Giovanni is mentioned - if you can confirm grave stone is erected.  I suspect you live in another country and this might be difficult for you to do yourself?

Mind, don't get hopes up too much - not every one had graves - especially if as in many cases money may have had to go on other priorities.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 24 May 18 09:30 BST (UK) »
Sunderland was in the Durham area.  If you post on the Durham board perhaps a Sunderland RootsChatter may look up particular newspaper articles which may be needed?  The Sunderland newspaper is on microfilm at Sunderland local studies. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline battista

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 24 May 18 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Battista,

Just to confirm again that first wife Elizabeth is buried at Preston Cemetery North Shields and second wife Anastasia is buried at All Saints Cemetery, Newcastle upon Tyne.  Henry and Vincenzo are buried at Elswick Cemetery, Newcastle upon Tyne.

I think one way forward would be for you to email North Tyneside bereavement services regarding Elizabeth and Newcastle bereavement services regarding Anastasia and find out if graves are purchased and may have grave stones.  Sometimes, in my experience a loved one/family members death is inscribed 'In Memory of ..' on a grave even if they are not actually buried in the grave themselves.

Giovanni may be referred to in a grave stone possibly?   Let us know if there are grave stones.  I or someone else may be able to check cemeteries for you.   if you can confirm is there are grave stones.  I only live about 2 miles from Preston Cemetery and if there is a stone I will try to visit and find this to ascertain if Giovanni is mentioned - if you can confirm grave stone is erected.  I suspect you live in another country and this might be difficult for you to do yourself?

Mind, don't get hopes up too much - not every one had graves - especially if as in many cases money may have had to go on other priorities.

I don't expect any of them to have graves, all graves I know of in my family (non-Battista) were and are unmarked. Never know though, could get lucky :)

I will email both North Tyneside and Newcastle bereavement services. Elswick Cemetery seems like a promising lead though. I suspect Giovanni died within the first few years of 1900, not far off from Henry Leo, perhaps buried close by.

Perhaps the gravesites of Giovanni's other brother, Antonio or his children's gravesites might be of use.

I'll post in the Europe section here, maybe someone might be able to help me find out if he died in Italy, or even a birth record.

And yes, I am a bit of a distance away. Some 18,000 km, would take a bit to get there ;)

Sunderland was in the Durham area.  If you post on the Durham board perhaps a Sunderland RootsChatter may look up particular newspaper articles which may be needed?  The Sunderland newspaper is on microfilm at Sunderland local studies. :)

Hrmm, I'm a little bit lost. I know Giovanni lived in Sunderland in the 1870s, what particular newspaper articles in Sunderland would I be wanting?
Battista
Lawson

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 24 May 18 10:46 BST (UK) »
I think RTL was referring to the newspaper articles mentioned by Silverhawk.

I think I’m right in saying that these can all be found via Findmypast.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline battista

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 24 May 18 12:12 BST (UK) »
I've sent both emails to North Tyneside and Newcastle bereavement services :)

North Tyneside just got back to me to say it's a £10.00 fee for searches in records pre-1995. Going to go ahead and pay that now.

EDIT: Looks like I can only pay by cheque or over the phone, both not very easy to do from New Zealand :(
Battista
Lawson

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 24 May 18 12:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jen - that's exactly what I did mean regarding the newspapers. :)  Sorry, I did not make myself clear.

Shame that they are charging for searches nowadays.  I do hope you have success eventually in finding what became of Giovanni!

Not sure if you have the marriage record for Giovanni and Anastasia  but I have found this at Tyne and Wear Archives that they married on 14 February 1901 at St Cuthbert, RC in North Shields.  If you don't have it already - this is another to add to your records. :)

'Giovanni Battista ex North Shields son of Antoni Battista & Anastasiam Whalen ex Willington Quay daughter of Timothei Finley.'

Present Witnesses: Guillolmus? (William I  presume) & Maria Joanna Battista.

Offline battista

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 24 May 18 12:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jen - that's exactly what I did mean regarding the newspapers. :)  Sorry, I did not make myself clear.

Shame that they are charging for searches nowadays.  I do hope you have success eventually in finding what became of Giovanni!

Not sure if you have the marriage record for Giovanni and Anastasia  but I have found this at Tyne and Wear Archives that they married on 14 February 1901 at St Cuthbert, RC in North Shields.  If you don't have it already - this is another to add to your records. :)

'Giovanni Battista ex North Shields son of Antoni Battista & Anastasiam Whalen ex Willington Quay daughter of Timothei Finley.'

Present Witnesses: Guillolmus? (William I  presume) & Maria Joanna Battista.

Thanks for all your help RTL, above and beyond :)

I don't have the marriage record for Giovanni and Anastasia, I've only ordered the 1885 marriage to Elizabeth (which I haven't received yet). Very handy to add to my records.

Guillolmus/William & Maria Joanna Battista... those are names I have never heard of before. I wonder who they could be.
Battista
Lawson