Author Topic: LAndSWRY Laborer occupation  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: LAndSWRY Laborer occupation
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 07 June 18 02:05 BST (UK) »
Where does this Henry Robins live,how old is he and when you say family,who are they?

In 1891 there are 148 people called Henry Robins, I'm not going to look at them all for you  ;D

Carol

From the transcription on Familysearch
He appears to be 35 years old born Berkshire, occupation given as "ballist train guard LSN"

How did you even get to the 1891 census on Family Search,it is the most confusing of all the websites and very American biased.

I log on and get "Search Historical Records" you then put a name in but if you don't know their approx date of birth you get thousands of possibles. I don't see anywhere to enter an occupation least of all narrow down a particular UK census?

Carol

I always enter England in the location, I find this usually filters out all the US entries, and there isn't anywhere to enter an occupation.
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 07 June 18 10:30 BST (UK) »
Re Census searches - you just have to try over and over again, with every trick you can think of.  I've searched for years for some people and then - bingo - suddenly there they are!  One ancestor eluded me for years and then turned up (mis-transcribed) in the most obvious place.  Some of the transcriptions are truely off-key.  It did occur to me that if I had visited the appropriate record office, as in the old days, and scrolled through the whole thing on film I would have found him. This is the down-side of entering even vaguely specific info. in searchable databases.  I would have been better browsing the whole thing.

And of course Familysearch is only an index.

Melbell

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: occupation
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 07 June 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
I have another occupation question.  1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census  Henry Robins and family.  I think his occupation is Ballast paint Guard and then some initials beside it? 
I could only find ballast heaver and ballast man in the old english occupations that I googled. 
Thank you for helping me figure out how you knew who my ancestor was in my last inquiry.

I still think you are missing the point Melbell.

The OP asked for help to find what the correct occupation was ,and I asked for more info as we didn't even have his name,age,or where he lived.

Then a couple of people seemed to be able to find who he was and what it said by just the dodgy occupation.With one saying they had found them on Family Search...again without a name HOW???

8)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 09 June 18 10:12 BST (UK) »
Not trying to be awkward or clever, but I don't understand the problem.  The occupation was found by looking at other websites - pooling research resources.

Melbell

Offline darlenemarynorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 June 18 04:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all who replied regarding my second occupation inquiry.